DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 12-21-2013, 01:21 PM   #11
Paul

Consolidating all replies into one message:

The system is running XP (it's a computer dating to 2006 and due to be replaced in 2014). I didn't think that XP defragged automatically but I will check tomorrow or Monday.

The antivirus (AVG) and malware scanner (Malwarebytes) are not set to scan automatically.

Norton Systemworks is installed but it is not set to do anything automatically.

Windows Update is set to "notify" without downloading.

Other applications are also set not to download updates automatically. This does not keep Flash and Java from demanding attention, but they wait until they're given permission and it takes very little time anyway.

My home computer runs Windows 7 and is set to defrag Wednesday at 1:00 a.m. It is not normally turned on then, so it defrags on Thursday morning and there is some impairment of performance. The impairment is not too severe, but I will probably start leaving the machine turned on for Wednesday nights or whenever the defrag is scheduled, if I change it.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 03:59 PM   #12
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Technical people tell me that there's not much point in defragging modern drives with NTFS since part of that system apparently involves breaking files up into bits .....

Also hard drives, one of the CompuServe sysops who used to design hard drives has posted several times, means that the "speed" is no longer much affected by the physical layout of files being accessed since they have large RAM caches which store files once accessed and the drive head no longer is involved.

I run Windows 7 32 bit and don't notice any effects of having background defragging set to on and if I check they are always 0% fragmented.

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 05:02 PM   #13
Paul

The hard drive on my Windows 7 system always seems to be 0% fragmented, too, even right before defrag is scheduled to run.

On the XP system, there is a lot of fragmentation and defrag does not run automatically.
Old 12-22-2013, 06:31 PM   #14
Hugh Wyn Griffith

I use XP so rarely these days -- I have it multibooted mainly as a hangover from first going to Windows 7.

I must recover the disk space one of these days which may involve confirming that EasyBCD can repair the bootloader which Windows 7 puts on the XP drive instead of its own when you install 7 after XP.

Perhaps you could try defragging XP on Sunday night? Or if the partition is FAT32 try converting it to NTFS -- one can do that without destroying data.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307881

But note that the MS Convert.exe is one way to NTFS although I remember that I had a tool that did it both ways -- Partition Magic but Symantec bought them long ago to get their Drive Image technology.

Hugh
Old 12-23-2013, 11:21 AM   #15
Paul

Well, no excessive disk activity today, but I used the XP machine yesterday to run a 900-page print job. Routinely starting a defrag when I leave on Sunday (or Friday) may be a good idea.
Old 12-23-2013, 03:58 PM   #16
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Does the defrag control have a shut down when completed check box in XP?

Are you sure you cannot disable it in Windows Scheduler .... I've an idea I've seen that said to be the way.

Hugh