DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 12-16-2013, 01:34 PM   #1
Paul

Default Disk thrashing on Mondays

I've found it nearly impossible to get any work done on my office computer today (Monday). This happens from time to time, almost always on Mondays, specifically Mondays after a weekend when I haven't used this computer at all. I often work on Sundays, but didn't yesterday.

All I can tell is that there is constant disk activity, almost all day long, that makes it difficult to open or save files, start or end programs, and so forth. It feels like either the system is indexing everything, but indexing is turned off, or something, such as Microsoft, is forcing an update. However, most programs are set not to auto-update, and when Microsoft forces an update of Windows despite the no-update setting, it's almost always on a Wednesday.

The computer was on all weekend and does not hibernate.

Any idea what is going on? Virus and malware scans have never found anything that accounts for it. Disabling Internet access with a firewall does not stop the disk activity.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 02:06 PM   #2
terrie
Staff

It sounds like there is something set to do maybe a behind the scenes cleanup of some sort and it's set to run on Mondays. You might try installing AutoRuns and browsing around within its tabs to see what's going on--definitely check the "Scheduled Tasks" tab in AutoRuns.

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 11:24 PM   #3
LoisWakeman
Staff

Scheduled disk scan by your AV program?

I turned mine off as it was such a nuisance.
LoisWakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 05:48 AM   #4
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Lois beat me to it. And I'd second Terrie's suggestion re Autoruns; you don't actually need to install anything to use it. It's a standalone EXE. It and a host of other useful bits are accessible from this page:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/

This gets you to AutoRuns:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s...rnals/bb795535

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:17 AM   #5
Hugh Wyn Griffith

What version of Windows?

How is your Windows Update set? Fully Automatic ..... Tell me but let me decide ?

What AV software application ?

There are some known WUD problems if you have XP

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 01:50 PM   #6
terrie
Staff

Quote:
steve: you don't actually need to install anything to use it. It's a standalone EXE.
Thank you for mentioning that about AutoRuns. I meant to but forgot. It's a lovely little app that is so helpful in seeing what's on your system and what is running or will be run...and...it's free which is even nicer...'-}}

Terrie
Old 12-20-2013, 03:03 PM   #7
Robin Springall

Location: Ealing Common, London W5, where I duplicate CDs and DVDs.

If there is no internet access, the disk thrashing can't be due to any kind of updates, so I suspect it's either indexing (which you can turn off) or defragmenting (which you can't).

Old 12-20-2013, 03:21 PM   #8
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Quote:
so I suspect it's either indexing (which you can turn off) or defragmenting (which you can't).
I don't know about earlier versions but I believe you can turn off defragmenting in Windows 7

Type defrag in the START Search box and open the link to Disk Defragmenter.

Uncheck the on schedule box .... maybe also select Configure and Disks to defrag and uncheck all the disks it lists.

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 07:59 AM   #9
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Thanks for that, Hugh.

I found that mine's scheduled for 1 am on Wednesdays, a time when it's liable to ... well, might, at least ... interfere with another disk-intensive process that I've scheduled myself.

Now that I know what it's doing and how to move it, I did.

Something similar is also available in Win8. From the main screen of your very large telephone, click Settings then start typing DEFRAG. "Defragment and optimize your drives" is the option that'll appear on the left.

The Win8 version doesn't trust us with complex decisions like "What day" or "What time of day". We get to choose Weekly, Daily or one other option (Monthly maybe?). We largescreen phone users are evidently too easily confused by too many options.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 12:00 PM   #10
terrie
Staff

Quote:
hugh: Type defrag in the START Search box and open the link to Disk Defragmenter.
Or...alternatively:

1. Open Explorer, highlight a drive/partition, right-click, choose Properties > Tools > click on the "Defragment Now" button in the "Defragmentation" section

2. Start button > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmentor

Once you've got the defrag window open, it will display the defrag information on the drive(s)/partition(s) on your system. If you've never configured the defrag settings, then you should see a "Configure Schedule" button otherwise you may see a "Turn On Schedule" button. In any case, click on the button which will display an options window allowing you to modify the defrag schedule, which drive(s)/partition(s), etc.

There is a sevenforums tutorial with screenshots that is helpful.

Note: SSD drives should not be defrag'd and if I'm remembering correctly, Win7 had automatically turned off the default scheduled defrag on my SSD drive before I turned off the standard scheduled defrag.

Terrie