DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Old 06-12-2005, 02:36 PM   #1
Anne Wright

Kathleen, I wish the Internet Publishing forum would move off Compuserve! I was in there reading messages when suddenly I could not get anywhere in the system. So I came here.

Maybe you guys should offer them a forum here? ;-)
Anne
Anne Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 04:46 PM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Wright
Kathleen, I wish the Internet Publishing forum would move off Compuserve! I was in there reading messages when suddenly I could not get anywhere in the system. So I came here.

Maybe you guys should offer them a forum here? ;-)
Anne
Sorry you had that problem. I would try to help (though I’m not sure I can — but what, exactly, happened?

Old 06-13-2005, 12:29 AM   #3
LoisWakeman
Staff

Anne - you aren't the only one - and I'm a sysop there!
LoisWakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 02:15 AM   #4
Franca
Staff

I've been meaning to ask about this for awhile ... I have never been able to get into P-CIS by way of any links from here. I always get an error message telling me that the
Quote:
"Redirection limit for this URL has been exceeded. Unable to load the requested page."
I always have to go in to the P-CIS forums using one of my regular links and try to find the thread mentioned on my own.

Franca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 06:57 AM   #5
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franca
I've been meaning to ask about this for awhile ... I have never been able to get into P-CIS by way of any links from here. I always get an error message telling me that the I always have to go in to the P-CIS forums using one of my regular links and try to find the thread mentioned on my own.
Really! I have no idea. But it doesn’t sound particularly nice.

Perhaps they don’t want us referring people to the CIS forums? Huh? Makes no sense.

You can look at the URL and get the thread/message name and/or ID and then search on those once you get there.

Old 06-13-2005, 07:06 AM   #6
Franca
Staff

Quote:
Really! I have no idea. But it doesn’t sound particularly nice.
It's not at all nice. Am I the only one who has seen this? I know I'm not the only one using the Firefox/Win XP combo. It's bizarre.

Quote:
Perhaps they don’t want us referring people to the CIS forums? Huh? Makes no sense.
You'd think they'd want any referrals they could get.

Quote:
You can look at the URL and get the thread/message name and/or ID and then search on those once you get there.
True. But not nearly as simple as clicking on the link you so kindly provided. Sigh.

Old 06-13-2005, 09:20 AM   #7
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
It's not at all nice. Am I the only one who has seen this? I know I'm not the only one using the Firefox/Win XP combo.
I doubt it has to do with browser or platform. In fact, the link just worked for me.

For a moment I was thinking it might be the form of the URL, but I just looked and it is the correct format for the long version.

If you think of it, try again later, will you? Curious to know if it is intermittent, a vendetta against Franca, specifically, or something else! :-)

Old 06-13-2005, 09:38 AM   #8
Franca
Staff

It's never been intermittent - I have always gotten the same error. Still do now. I, too, would like to know if it is a vendetta against me!

Old 06-13-2005, 02:12 PM   #9
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
It's not at all nice. Am I the only one who has seen this? I know I'm not the only one using the Firefox/Win XP combo. It's bizarre.

You'd think they'd want any referrals they could get.

True. But not nearly as simple as clicking on the link you so kindly provided. Sigh.
I have been inquiring.

Have you set Firefox to block any of the P-CIS (AOL, Prospero, CompuServe, etc.) cookies? Evidently that is one that that will prompt that error message.

If so, unblock (at least temporarily) and see if the link works.

Old 06-14-2005, 01:51 AM   #10
Franca
Staff

Thank you for looking into this, Kathleen!

I haven't set Firefox to block anything. Every time some site tells me there's a cookie problem I check, but can't find anything in Firefox's settings that would be causing it. I think most of my settings are fairly standard - third-party cookies are blocked, but that shouldn't be a problem, should it? I suppose I could uncheck that temporarily to test ... will do that in a moment. I have pop-up blocking in both Firefox and ZoneAlarm, and banner ads blocked in ZA as well. But ads aren't cookies. That much I know, lol.

Moments later ... well, that's nasty. You have to allow third-party cookies in order to use links to P-CIS threads inserted here. Don't need them for navigating directly in to P-CIS, though, so what's up with that?? Disallowing third-party cookies has always seemed to me to be a standard medium-security setting. Does everyone here allow third-party cookies?