DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Production & Automation

Old 10-26-2013, 08:25 PM   #1
Kayza

Default Buying toner

I have an HP Laserjet P3005n, which I like. It does what I need, it does it reasonably quickly, and I never have problems if I need to do the occasional (or not so occasional) big job. Toner is a bit on the expensive side, though. Not too terrible when you look at the cost per page, but still a bit much to pull out at once. So, I was looking for compatible / re-manufactured cartridges.

In general, I've had mixed experiences, including destroying one printer with the "compatible" stuff - but it was a color printer, and they tend to be more finicky.

Does anyone have a specific brand that they have had good experience with? Most of the stuff I have seen are brands I have never heard of and some of the descriptions raise some red flags.
Kayza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 03:09 PM   #2
terrie
Staff

My Laserjet toner carts (over the years: HPIIP, HP6MP and HP 2200D) last so long that I always have to do my research from scratch. That said, I've ordered from databazaar in the past and I'm pretty sure that I ordered a compatible toner cart with a high databazaar customer rating from them and I don't remember being unhappy.

I did some checking at ebay for an HP 51A (that's what you need) as I've also ordered toner carts there and after narrowing the ebay search down, choosing buy-it-now (I always do buy-it-now rather than an auction for stuff like this as it's easier) and choosing "best match" because there is no way to block compatibles and refurbs--very annoying not to be able to do that--I found a semi-decent listing of OEM toner carts that you may find reasonably well priced to avoid the compatible/refurb quandry...'-}}

The least expensive OEM, buy-it-now at ebay is $59 plus $8 for shipping

Hope that helps...

Terrie

Last edited by terrie; 10-28-2013 at 01:22 PM. Reason: fix a typo
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 04:41 PM   #3
Hugh Wyn Griffith

I think I mentioned in an earlier thread that I've been very happy with the Office Depot branded remanufactured cartridge for my LJ2200D -- I just swapped it out after some 9000 pages!

Here's the Office Depot page

http://www.officedepot.com/a/product...nd-51A-HP-51A/

I'd be cautious about OEM cartridges since for some printers these do not have a full page count refill.

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:07 PM   #4
terrie
Staff

The HP OEM toner cart is only $20 more at Office Depot so doesn't seem like you get much of a discount to go with the OD brand remanufactured cart...

The $59/$67(with shipping) ebay cart I mentioned has the same manufacturer's part number as the HP OEM cart at OD--rated for 6500 pages

Terrie
Old 10-28-2013, 11:59 AM   #5
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Personally I don't do eBay.

My HP 96A is $129 / 5000 pages at OD. Their brand is $117 / 5000 but I got 9000 pages which I've never had on the HP brand.

I'm not sue that HP branded retail is the same as HP branded OEM -- there used to be serious complaints that the cartridge you got when you bought your printer was a "short" one. I don't mind what the eBay suppliers say about the number of pages .... do you know how truthful they are?

There's also just what is remanufactured?

Refilling with toner is not enough with HP toner cartridges that I know of since they include the light sensitive drum so that is replaced every time you change the cartridge and you aren't suddenly faced with a massive drum replacement cost as with some laserjet printers.

For the frequency I replace I prefer to spend the extra money and get from a source I know.

Hugh
Old 10-28-2013, 01:20 PM   #6
terrie
Staff

Quote:
hugh: Personally I don't do eBay.
I buy off ebay with caution by checking the seller's feedback rating and also the number of sales--large-ish sales numbers/volume (depending on what I'm buying and cost) with a high seller rating (99%, preferably 100%). With respect to "retail" vs. "oem", generally they should be equivalent and "oem" is a (common) way of distinguishing between original manufacturer and 3rd party toner carts.

>>There's also just what is remanufactured?

I'm not exacty sure but the term is used in the title for the OD cart. I figure the cart has been cleaned and otherwise inspected, parts replaced perhaps before filling again with toner but who knows...

>>For the frequency I replace I prefer to spend the extra money and get from a source I know.

I think that's a perfectly reasonable approach and one I, generally, use also although I think my perception of "known source" is perhaps a bit broader than yours...'-}}

Terrie

Last edited by terrie; 10-28-2013 at 02:07 PM. Reason: fix a typo
Old 10-28-2013, 03:41 PM   #7
Hugh Wyn Griffith

<< but who knows... >>

That's the crux.....

And "If it's too good to be true it ....... "

Hugh
Old 10-28-2013, 06:06 PM   #8
terrie
Staff

Quote:
hugh: That's the crux.....
Indeed...

Did OD cart you bought for your own printer use the term "remanufactured"?

Terrie
Old 10-29-2013, 03:58 PM   #9
Hugh Wyn Griffith

It doesn't say remanufactured on the cartridge which I still have but they say remanufactured on their website and it's in a plain cardboard box.

Hugh