DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-11-2013, 04:01 AM   #2
Barrie Greed

A few thoughts which may or may not be of help.

I am not clear why you want to have a single form for amending records and adding records. Personally I would not mix, on the same form, two separate processes. I would have one web page for amending existing records and one page for entering new records.Once you start writing the data to mysql you will need to split the data between two separate statements anyway. An UPDATE statement to amend the existing records and an INSERT INTO statement to add the new records.

I may be misunderstanding your intentions but your post seems to suggest you were planning to use a single INSERT INTO statement for all the data. I cannot see how that could work. If you have any fields with unique data you will end up with a mysql error. If there is no unique data field you will duplicate the existing records.

Personally I use phpMyAdmin to administer databases. It is far easier. But you may need to set up arrangements for your web site users to update databases in the future so your current exercise will probably be useful in the long run.

If I have completely misunderstood what you are trying to do please post back with some more detail.

Barrie Greed
Barrie Greed is offline   Reply With Quote