DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 09-14-2013, 05:05 PM   #1
johnnyboy

Default Reading on Tablet

I have had a Kindle for a couple of years now and read quite a few books with it. I find it very good. I bought it originally because I was concerned about reading from a tablet because I have eyes which seem sensitive. By that I mean they are affected by bright sunlight and water if I venture outdoors without sunglasses. I would probably rather have a tablet but have steered away from it because of the above. What is the experience of people who read extensively from tablets?
johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:25 PM   #2
Franca
Staff

Well ... I don't read extensively on my tablet because I prefer my Kindle for that. Reading outdoors on a tablet is difficult, and even indoors in the daytime I find the Kindle to be much easier on the eyes for pages and pages of type. I do read books on my tablet or even my Droid (shocking, I know) at night in bed when my husband is trying to sleep. The light from the backlit tablet screen is more subtle and discreet than the attached light on my Kindle cover. The Kindle cover light is very bright white and there is considerable spillover from it onto the bed, so it was not as successful a solution for bedtime reading as I'd hoped. It's great for low light reading if nobody is trying to sleep, though.

All that said, a tablet is a very useful thing in many other ways so if it's in the budget I wouldn't let the fact that it is not the ideal e-reader stop you from getting one! When I was laid up with my broken ankle I was exceedingly grateful for my tablet as my laptop computer was too big and heavy for extended use in bed. Nothing wrong with having both a Kindle and a tablet.

Last edited by Franca; 09-14-2013 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Additions
Franca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 12:22 AM   #3
johnnyboy

I have a laptop and a table computer. I will have you know Franca my ancestors were Scottish and therefore to buy a tablet would be the height of extravagance!
Old 09-15-2013, 11:27 AM   #4
Franca
Staff

LOL! Understood. Well then, perhaps I should have told you that a tablet makes a much better e-reader than a Kindle. Color photos and illustrations will actually be in color on a tablet. There, that's one advantage the tablet screen has over the Kindle e-ink screen. Or you could break your ankle, but I don't recommend that as a method of justifying a tablet purchase.

Old 09-15-2013, 01:16 PM   #5
johnnyboy

Yes you are correct in suggesting I would be better not to break my ankle to justify buying a tablet. However you have moved me a little with your comment about photos. I would dearly love a device for showing them as I think a phone is too small.

Incidentially I read an article the other day where the writer was suggesting tablets would eventually take over from mobiles/cell phones. I must say I found that hard to believe

I think you have answered my question though. An ereader is better for books.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:57 PM   #6
Franca
Staff

Tablets do photos very nicely.