DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 08-09-2013, 05:03 PM   #1
groucho
Staff

Default Quark 4.x on Win7 64-bit?

Stop laughing, you'll bust a gut.

I kept Quark 4.x installed on a Win7/32bit computer so I can access legacy files. No problem.

Updated to a Win7/64bit machine, and of course it doesn't like 16-bit programs. No problem, I'll just install Quark to the XP Virtual Machine where all the other old stuff lives. Problem, the install routine from the CD wants me to start loading floppies in the floppy drive. Which I doubt I still have around.

Other installs don't go asking for floppies, and if I try to install to Win7 instead of the virtual machine, setup does run and install from the CD without asking about floppies, so it isn't a hardware problem.

Catch-22. Won't run in 64-bit, won't install to virtual 16-bit.

There ought to be some clever workaround here, right?
groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:21 PM   #2
terrie
Staff

Have you tried copying all the installation files from CD to your virtual drive and installing from there? That's what I did with my old version of Quicken 4 and it worked ok. Are there any installation .ini files and if so, take a look in there and see if you might be able to edit them if there are any refs to floppy drive installation.

I installed WinCim on my WinXP/VM although "install" is probably a misnomer because what I did was to copy the installed software files from my old WinXP system and then in WinXP/VM, I started Wincim and it wouldn't start (of course) because it was missing the files installed in WinXP c:\windows but each error message gave me the file name I needed to look for on my old WinXP system and copied the files to the WinXP/VM--fortunately there were only 3-4 files I needed. Oh, I also had to edit some of WinCim's .ini files to reset the installation location and some drive letters.

I don't know if that approach would work with Quark but it might be worth trying if you have the old system with your Quark install and check for Quark files in c:\windows...

Keep us posted...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:23 PM   #3
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Never installed QXP before, so have to ask: does it ordinarily ask for a floppy? Some kind of anti-custom...er...pirate...er...whatever key thing?

If so do you mean that you don't have a floppy drive still around, or you don't have the floppy disk to feed it with? Or both?

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 02:12 PM   #4
groucho
Staff

Steve, the floppy thing was supposedly a Special Key Disk in order to ensure you weren't just passing around copies of the program or something. Although, a funny thing happened today. (THANK YOU TERRIE.)

I was looking at what I thought was the 4.00 backup CD and saw that was just a disc of extensions and I said to myself, wait a minute here...caffeine shortage, can't read my own notes.

I had been trying to run "setup.exe" from the 4.04 CD's top level, which didn't work. And then tried the SETUP.EXE inside the x86 folder, which didn't work even if I ran as administrator. And for some reason, I hadn't tried running the top-level setup AS ADMINISTRATOR.

Now Bob's my uncle, that's all it took. Run the right file with the right privileges and, just to rub salt in the wound, this time it didn't ask for any floppy at all. And I KNOW it required the floppy previously.

Hey, Bob may be my uncle but he doesn't always explain everything.

And I thank Terrie even though she didn't mention this angle, because she gave me a reason to go back and blindly punch some buttons again.

Now if I really get brave, I'll install the demo of Creative Suite as well. Or not, there's always tomorrow, and thoughts of Monty Python "Oh, you wanted Argument, that's two doors down and to the left. This is Abuse." "Right, thank you." "Thank you."

This is all my own fault, if I'd invested the time to educate Mr. Gates with a rubber hose all those years ago, they wouldn't keep messing around with the new versions in Windows, they'd just release improvements without all the new furniture.
Old 08-10-2013, 03:22 PM   #5
terrie
Staff

Quote:
groucho: And I thank Terrie even though she didn't mention this angle, because she gave me a reason to go back and blindly punch some buttons again.
You are most welcome...so glad I was able to help and that you got it installed ok...

>>Now if I really get brave, I'll install the demo of Creative Suite as well. Or not, there's always tomorrow, and thoughts of Monty Python "Oh, you wanted Argument, that's two doors down and to the left. This is Abuse." "Right, thank you." "Thank you."

LOL!! Why are you going to install Creative Suite in WinXP Mode/VM? Why not install it on the Win7/64bit side? I've installed Photoshop 7 on that side (set the setup.exe to "run as admin" and compatibility WinXP/SP3) and it works fine with the desktop shortcut set to "run as admin" and compatibility set to WinXP/SP3. When I open Photoshop 7, there is a little hourglass icon that displays near the cursor and I wait (2-3 seconds) for it to disappear--not sure exactly why it displays but I suspect it might have something to do with the compatibility setting.

Oh! One more thing which may or may not matter. When I installed Photoshop 7 (with the above mentioned settings on the setup.exe), I did a custom install (I always do a custom install) to my own software partition rather than using the Win7/64bit default installation location. Also, my software partition is under 1TB and I don't know if it would matter with the Creative Suite but for Photoshop 7 which I had been told would not install/work in Win7/64bit, the suggestion was made that the installation drive being under 1TB worked and installing to a drive 1TB or larger would be problematic.

Terrie
Old 08-10-2013, 04:31 PM   #6
groucho
Staff

Ergh, actually, I was referring to install CS on the real machine, not the virtual one. In fact the current versions will ONLY install on a 64-bit OS, you can't install them on a 32-bit machine, which is one reason the new machine is 64-bit despite all the pain that will bring.

But it isn't a bad idea, install the one-back versions in the XP mode, since PageBreaker and Quirk are installed there. Why not keep all the brats in the same room? <G>
Old 08-10-2013, 08:39 PM   #7
terrie
Staff

Quote:
groucho: Why not keep all the brats in the same room? <G>
LOL!! I suppose that is an option. I find XPMode a bit slow and to be perfectly honest, it's a little scary in there because I'm afraid I'm going to do something to break it which is ironic since I've often used that classic phrase "go ahead, you can't break it" with people who don't have much technical experience...sooo...because of that, I get into XPMode, do my monthly Quicken checks and get out breathing a sigh of relief that it worked again and I didn't break it...'-}}

Terrie