DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Old 07-27-2013, 04:14 PM   #1
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea
Default Nostalgia

I'm having a bit of a clean up here; after 38+ years in the same house, I really, really need to do this. The house is tiny, and we don't have cellars here.

Just discovered: the box that my 800K external floppy drive came in, the one I bought with my original Mac in April 1986, a Mac Plus. I got the external floppy to avoid spending hours swapping floppy discs, which was a good idea. Except that the Mac OS still kept spitting the discs out and asking for a different one, something it continued to do for many years. The part number for the external drive was M0131, and it was made in Japan.

Also discovered: the box my ThunderScan came in. Remember ThunderScan?

Old 07-27-2013, 07:36 PM   #2
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

ThunderScan ... wasn't it that thing that you put into the Apple-branded NEC 8023 dot matrix printer in place of the print head or cartridge (?) that let it scan stuff? At about the same resolution as the printer could print at? Not much, IOW?

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:32 PM   #3
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg View Post
ThunderScan ... wasn't it that thing that you put into the Apple-branded NEC 8023 dot matrix printer in place of the print head or cartridge (?) that let it scan stuff? At about the same resolution as the printer could print at? Not much, IOW?
Yep. Imagewriter II, they called the printer I had. The box boasts that you can produce high res images from it.

Old 07-28-2013, 02:29 AM   #4
Bo Aakerstrom

If you had the actual drive you could make some money, they are fetching good prices on Ebay.

A bit newer than your find, I came across an unopened box of floppies in the garage last month when attempting to tidy up. Still shrink wrapped so they should be as good as new.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	apricots.png
Views:	9
Size:	167.9 KB
ID:	1862  

Old 07-28-2013, 07:22 AM   #5
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

High. Yes. Well. To an ant, all of us seem tall, I suppose. ;-)

It's funny ... I was lucky enough to get out of photography at a time when digital was lapping at the shores but was utterly impractical, even if it was The Latest Thing that you had to get into or get left behind. At the time, most of it was sheer crap, or if it was of even marginally acceptable quality, it cost both arms, the legs up to the knees and several first-borns, which was difficult because once you got into it, you found that the repairs and upkeep cost a few reproductive organs.

By the time I picked up a small digital camera almost on a whim, things had changed. Oh my, had they changed. I just popped open one of my photos from that camera for a project I'm working on now; hit the print button, set the print quality to standard and popped out a letter-sized glossy print on a sub $100 Canon inkjet. It's every bit as good a print, maybe better, as I'd have hoped ever to get from the 35mm cameras and color negative film I'd have used back in the paleopredigitalithic era.

Price
Quality
Instant Gratification

Choose any three.

What's not to love?

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 07-28-2013, 12:40 PM   #6
terrie
Staff

Quote:
bo: I came across an unopened box of floppies in the garage last month when attempting to tidy up. Still shrink wrapped so they should be as good as new.
LOL!!! I've got a box (or 2) of those along with a box of Mac formatted floppies. I just can't throw them away for some bizarre reason...'-}}

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:37 PM   #7
annc
Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Aakerstrom View Post
If you had the actual drive you could make some money, they are fetching good prices on Ebay.

A bit newer than your find, I came across an unopened box of floppies in the garage last month when attempting to tidy up. Still shrink wrapped so they should be as good as new.
And amazingly clean and free from spiders and fly specks, too!

Old 07-29-2013, 06:09 AM   #8
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Keep them if you're emotionally attached, but I wouldn't actually try to USE them. Your existing floppies from that era are probably dead by now (if there's anything on 'em that you want, you might want to copy them to your HDD then burn CDs or something.) And you might also run into problems with the coating flaking off. I wouldn't use them in a drive you want to use later.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 07-29-2013, 09:32 AM   #9
Bo Aakerstrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg View Post
...you might also run into problems with the coating flaking off...
I have a bunch of reel-to-reel tapes from a similar era, I dare not playing them either, but at least nothing would get stuck inside something like a disc drive. Perhaps just the once so I can record onto my HDD. I know some of those have my very first attempts layering guitar tracks using sound-on-sound recording. I have a feeling that could be embarrassing to listen to!

Old 07-29-2013, 10:35 AM   #10
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>> I know some of those have my very first attempts layering guitar tracks using sound-on-sound recording. I have a feeling that could be embarrassing to listen to!

Ah. You too. Then I added four-part harmony. Me, me, me and me.

Musical onanism.

www.pptools.com
and stuff