DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Design

Old 06-21-2013, 08:10 AM   #1
imatt

Default Serif v Corel?

Looking to create a range of items including greeting cards. Can't afford Adobe's sub prices as we pay 50% more here in GB than the US. Would I be better served by CorelDraw X6 or Serif PagePlus X7, DrawPlus X6 and Serif PhotoPlus X6? Was using CS2 until recently.
imatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:16 PM   #2
terrie
Staff

Why can't you continue to use CS2? I create my cards in Photoshop--still using Photoshop 7 via Win7Pro/64bit.

I don't use any of the alternatives you mentioned but I've heard good things about both Corel's and Serif's offerings. I know there are some Corel users here so maybe they will pop in with their actual experience...'-}}

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:53 PM   #3
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

I'm with Terrie - if what you have is working for you, why change?

If for some reason you *must* switch, I'd check to see if Serif and Corel offer demo versions of their stuff. FWIW, it's been my experience that if you learn Illustrator, you'll despise Draw and vice versa. Both are excellent programs, but whichever you've grown accustomed to, the other just feels wrong.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:37 PM   #4
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg View Post
FWIW, it's been my experience that if you learn Illustrator, you'll despise Draw and vice versa. Both are excellent programs, but whichever you've grown accustomed to, the other just feels wrong.
I still mourn Freehand. When I had to do a job with text on a curve in Illustrator for the first time recently, I almost lost all my hair. And a five minute job took me nearly an hour.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:15 PM   #5
Howard Allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc View Post
I still mourn Freehand. When I had to do a job with text on a curve in Illustrator for the first time recently, I almost lost all my hair. And a five minute job took me nearly an hour.
You and me both (except my hair was mostly gone already!). I still can't figure out why Illustrator needs two pointer tools when Freehand managed very nicely with just one. Mind you, I remember loathing Freehand when I was forced to switch to it, after MacDraw Pro. We just transfer our loathing to the next new thing.

OSX 10.10.5
Howard Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:51 PM   #6
LoisWakeman
Staff

If you only need simple text, then look at Paintshop Pro - which does 95% of what PS does but at about a tenth of the price. Version 7 is much less of a resource hog than the current versions, but they do have some nice features for processing photos etc.

Older versions of CorelDraw are very capable and can be bought quite cheaply second-hand. I never went beyond V12, and V6/7 are fine for most uses (e.g fitting text to paths, flowing columns etc.) Of course, they may not run nicely on Windows 8 - still waiting to see what happens when my desktop with XP dies
LoisWakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:35 PM   #7
Franca
Staff

Photoshop 7 works with Win7Pro/64 bit? Hm. Wonder why I thought it didn't. Maybe I should explore that again. Did you have to do anything special to get it up and running? Apologies if I've asked before ... I'm still not really back on my computer yet. I made my way gingerly down our steep stairs the other day and peeked briefly into my office. Ugh, what a disaster. I quickly grabbed what I needed and shut the door on the jumbled mess. Sigh. I'm going to need to hire some help before I can function in there again. (We had a carpenter ant invasion awhile back and none of my office piles are where I left them. Plus it's been too many months to remember what was in them anyway.)

Franca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:48 PM   #8
terrie
Staff

Quote:
franca: Photoshop 7 works with Win7Pro/64 bit? Hm. Wonder why I thought it didn't.
Because it can be problematic. I was told by the build shop that I wouldn't be able to use Photoshop 7 on my new system. When I got home from the build shop that day, I did a bit of searching and found that some people had been able to install and get it working; however, I decided that maybe I should (finally) put aside my principles about buying any Adobe software requiring activation and went rooting around on ebay to see what I could find. I was getting ready to email an ebay seller with a question when I stumbled across a posting on one of my Yahoo Groups about a sale on Photoshop CS6 at B&H Photo. The price at B&H was MUCH better than what I was seeing on ebay so I ordered Photoshop CS6.

Once I got my system tweaked, I decided to try and install Photoshop 7--I had read that as long as the installation drive was under 1TB, it should install. I did set the setup.exe file to "run as admin" (I'm always signed on with an Admin level userid) and WinXP/SP3 compatibility along with doing a custom install in my own software partition. Installation completed normally and I created a desktop shortcut which I set "run as admin" and WinXP/SP3 compatibility. I do notice a small hourglass icon when I open Photoshop 7 (and WordPerfect 8 installed with the same sort of settings) which displays for maybe 3-4 seconds. I don't know what it is but I suspect it might be compatibility mode kicking in. I've had no problems in working in either Photoshop 7 or WordPerfect 8...

Let me know how it goes when you get around to installing it

How is your ankle??

Terrie

PS: I've yet to get around to installing Photoshop CS6...'-}}
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:14 PM   #9
Hugh Wyn Griffith

I'm pretty certain I had PSE 6 running under Windows 7 64 bit when I had that as a test bed.

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:12 PM   #10
Gerry Kowarsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by imatt View Post
Looking to create a range of items including greeting cards. Can't afford Adobe's sub prices as we pay 50% more here in GB than the US. Would I be better served by CorelDraw X6 or Serif PagePlus X7, DrawPlus X6 and Serif PhotoPlus X6? Was using CS2 until recently.
Are you looking for an alternative to CS2 because of Adobe's recent cancelation of the CS2 license management servers on account of a technical glitch? If so, this article may have a solution for you.
Gerry Kowarsky is offline   Reply With Quote