DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 05-27-2013, 02:20 PM   #1
dthomsen8

Default Windows 7 Mouse problem

I have a new Windows 7 computer with a mouse problem. When it boots, sometimes the Logitec wireless mouse will only move the courser up and down, and not across. Sometimes rebooting corrects this problem. Sometimes it does not, and then I resort to a wired USB mouse. I am using a new KVM switch.

Any ideas?
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:04 PM   #2
BobRoosth

Does the cordless mouse work reliably on another computer?
BobRoosth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:18 PM   #3
terrie
Staff

Where do you have the dongle? I found with Win7, that if the dongle was plugged into a usb port on my pc case on the floor that the mouse acted oddly at times--this was with one of the newer smaller Logitech wireless models (M315). When I moved my new Win7 system to my regular desk area, and was able to use my larger Logitech mouse (LX7) which has a desktop dongle in a cradle--it has a longer usb cable plugs into a usb port on my pc case on the floor. I eventually needed to move the desktop dongle/cradle slightly in front of my screen and haven't had a problem with mouse weirdness since.

Also, I ended up uninstalling the Logitech drivers--I tried a couple of different versions--because the mouse worked better without them. Check the Control Panel settings (Control Panel > Mouse) too.

Hope that helps...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:03 PM   #4
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

If you remove the KVM switch from the mix, does it change anything?

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:48 AM   #5
dthomsen8

Default Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRoosth View Post
Does the cordless mouse work reliably on another computer?
Yes, on a Windows XP computer. The wired mouse is working fine now.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:10 AM   #6
terrie
Staff

Quote:
dthomsen8: The wired mouse is working fine now.
Before I made the changes I discussed in my previous post, I found that my cordless mouse would work for a period of time, then get flakey and then be fine again--it was unpredictable so don't be surprised if yours gets flakey again...'-}}

Terrie
Old 05-28-2013, 07:37 PM   #7
BobRoosth

Both are good thoughts. Just last week for a client I moved the mouse receiver from the rear USB port closest to the floor to one above the video and network connections. Made all the difference.

For another client, there was both a mouse/keyboard receiver and a Wi-Fi dongle. If they are in adjacent ports, they interfere with each other. Put the Wi-Fi on the end of a cable and hang it in the air and all is well.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:13 PM   #8
terrie
Staff

Quote:
bobtoosth: Both are good thoughts. Just last week for a client I moved the mouse receiver from the rear USB port closest to the floor to one above the video and network connections. Made all the difference.
When I was researching the problem I was having with my wireless mouse, I read that one guy bought a long usb cable--male/female--plugging the male end end into the desktop case usb port, taped the cord to the desk and plugged the mouse dongle into the female end and with the dongle closer to the mouse, he didn't have problems with the mouse after that.

Does the above read as risque to you as it does to me? '-}}

>>For another client, there was both a mouse/keyboard receiver and a Wi-Fi dongle. If they are in adjacent ports, they interfere with each other. Put the Wi-Fi on the end of a cable and hang it in the air and all is well.

Yeah I can well imagine that would muck things up. I don't know why Win7 is so sensitive to this stuff. I never had a problem like that with WniXP...

Terrie
Old 05-30-2013, 05:34 PM   #9
BobRoosth

Quote:
When I was researching the problem I was having with my wireless mouse, I read that one guy bought a long usb cable--male/female--plugging the male end end into the desktop case usb port, taped the cord to the desk and plugged the mouse dongle into the female end and with the dongle closer to the mouse, he didn't have problems with the mouse after that.

Does the above read as risque to you as it does to me? '-}}
Not really. I think I used the USB extension that ships with some Wi-Fi adapters.

Quote:
I don't know why Win7 is so sensitive to this stuff.
I don't see Win 7 as more troublesome. I had a couple of XP machines that needed the dongle within inches of the keyboard and mouse. I think it is more a vendor issue. The mice with the tiny receivers are really intended for laptops, where the mouse is really close to the machine.

As for the mouse and Wi-Fi fighting: that has to be a radio interference problem. Drive your car up to a radio broadcast tower. At some distance, the magnitude of the radio signal swamps the receiver in the car so nothing comes in. Sort of like having someone shouting in your ear.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:52 PM   #10
terrie
Staff

Quote:
bobroosth: I had a couple of XP machines that needed the dongle within inches of the keyboard and mouse.
Really? Interesting...I never had a problem with WinXP but...just realized, I never used one of the small wireless "laptop"sized ones on a desktop WinXP system so I think you may well be correct about the tiny receivers.

Terrie