DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Images

Old 06-08-2005, 02:30 PM   #1
marlene
Staff

Default Blue sky mining

I've got a photo with a very washed-out sky -- almost white. The rest of the photo's pretty good.

Is there an easy way to make the sky bluer? It should be easy to select the area I'd need to make blue, and it's a relatively small area.

The client wants me to just lop off the top of the photo to get rid of the pale sky, but I thought I'd see if I can fix it first.

I've got some software I bought a year or so ago (one of those Andromeda bundles) but never got around to installing. Would any of these help? Nik Color Efex Pro, Splat, Xenofex, LensDoc Filter. (There are also some other filters in the bundle, but I'm sure they aren't applicable here -- Varifocus, Perspective, and Redeye.)

The job doesn't go to press until early next week, so I would have some time to fiddle with new software over the weekend.

mxh
marlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 03:13 PM   #2
Michael Rowley

Marlene:

I've got a photo with a very washed-out sky

Photographers often collected 'good' skies: couldn't you find a suitable sky shot somewhere?

Old 06-08-2005, 05:02 PM   #3
marlene
Staff

The sky is only a small portion of the photo (the rest is buildings and shrubberies and stuff).

I do have nicer skies (thanks to Photodisc), but I don't know how I'd get it into the existing photo. Anyway, I don't think I'm allowed to change it that much. I can enhance it, but not too much.

mxh
Old 06-08-2005, 06:27 PM   #4
Andrew B.
Staff

The way I've done this is to mask in another sky. This takes some work. Nik has some gradient filters in blue. Or you could try laying in your own gradient. Xenofex has a Little Fluffy Could filter and makes a blue sky for the clouds. But that would probably be worse to blend in than a real sky from another photo.
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 12:30 AM   #5
LoisWakeman
Staff

Marlene, if you can select the sky then feather the selection, you can drop in a semi-transparent gradient from darker to lighter blue anngled appropriately for the direction of the sun - but pick a colour that matches the cast of the foreground for best results. Depending on what editor you use, you may find the feather gives a faint line arpound the top/outside edges of the sky: in which case, you can add a border the same width as the feathering, remake the selection and tint, then crop off the excess.
LoisWakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 01:53 AM   #6
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Do look at the solution Don McC proposed to me in my image help plea thread. It might help you a lot with this problem.

http://desktoppublishingforum.com/bb...=9389#poststop

Old 06-09-2005, 07:02 AM   #7
Michael Rowley

Marlene:

I don't think I'm allowed to change it that much

Interesting point that: you think putting in a nicer sky would be changing the photo a lot, whereas electronic touching is OK?

Old 06-09-2005, 08:51 PM   #8
marlene
Staff

Well, I think the person who submitted the photo might notice if I put in a real nice sky with clouds. The existing sky is actually pure white -- I just checked the file in Photoshop, and it's 0% everything. Not one single pixel of color!

I wanted to just add a tiny bit of color -- very pale blue -- just so the sky's not pure white. But the photographer has requested a photo credit, and might notice if the sky is no longer white, so I guess I'd better leave it alone.

I'll just crop out the sky as the client originally requested.

But it's still useful to know about options for dealing with the problem -- I needed to fix another sky a few days ago, but didn't know how and was very short on time, so I had to just let it go. That sky wasn't as bad, though -- it wasn't 100% white.

mxh
Old 06-09-2005, 08:52 PM   #9
marlene
Staff

Thanks for the suggestions. I decided not to fool with it, since the photographer requested a photo credit and might notice.

But I'm sure I'll need to use these kinds of techniques sometime in the future.

mxh
Old 06-09-2005, 08:53 PM   #10
marlene
Staff

I decided not to fool with this particular sky, but when I get a chance I'll install those programs and experiment with them.

Thx,

mxh