DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 04-20-2013, 08:16 PM   #11
Kayza

Quote:
Originally Posted by tphinney View Post
With all due respect, the second phrase of that sentence is pure madness.

Inkjets are cheaper than laser printers to buy, but laser printers blow inkjet printers away at cost per page; they are significantly cheaper to operate. How much cheaper varies depending on what models you are comparing, but on average, maybe 1/3 the price per page.
Not on any of the laser printers I have looked at. Toner costs were several time the ink costs - on a per page basis. I'll grant the the comparisons were not exact, as I was using the manufacturers estimates of how many pages you can get per cartridge, but I have to assume the the laser printer manufacturers were not understating the reasonable number one could expect.

HP, for instance ranges in the $.09 - 10 per page. The Xerox Phaser I just checked prices on came out even more expensive per page. None of the inkjets I have used came in at that price. The last inkjet I used (which still has ink available) comes in at $0.075 per page.

And, but the way, double side is an option on inkjets. In fact, the model I checked ink prices on does double sided - it was one of the absolute requirements before we purchased it. (When I purchased that printer, I was not looking at cost per page, I was looking for a printer that could duplex card stock. None of the lasers I looked at could do that.)

Quote:
For some color laser options, look at the Xerox Phaser 6500/6600 models. With the optional duplexer you are looking at aorund $300-350.
I just checked toner prices, using the same staples site I used for the other models. They have the phaser 6600, and based on price and manufacturer page yield, the cost per page comes to $0.1175 per page.

Now, it's possible that I could get toner less expensively than at Staples, but there is no reason to believe that I could get really significant discounts on the toner but not the ink.
Kayza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:26 PM   #12
Kayza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Wyn Griffith View Post
For example the OJ 8600 << The average cost per color page, according to HP, is 7.2 cents. >> which comes from an article in Computerworld
That matches the cost if purchasing from Staples, and matches our real world experience.
Kayza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:37 AM   #13
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Thanks for the confirmation.

I note that the OP -- GKW -- has not come back with any replies ......

The only thing I'd want to be sure about for his stated application is not the cost per page but water and fingerprint resistance.

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:57 PM   #14
Franca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRoosth View Post
One other benefit of laser printers, color or monochrome; they really don't care how many days it has been since one last printed. They just work. Some inkjet models have real clogging problems if they go unused for many days, or they chew through ink getting the nozzles flushed out.
This is the primary reason I don't like inkjets much. Am glad we have a couple for our infrequent photo-quality needs but I hate the declogging process and the concern about old ink carts. Also our inkjets are painfully slow to print but that may no longer be the case with the newer ones. I would certainly not want an inkjet to be our only color printer option. However, laser supplies are, indeed, stupidly expensive so, as always, what to get depends on one's needs and priorities.

Franca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:53 PM   #15
Hugh Wyn Griffith

My wonderful PS8250 with the ink-tanks separate from the heads has an incredible system where the ink used for cleaning is recycled back into the tanks .... after filtering I hope!

Hugh
Old 04-24-2013, 02:01 PM   #16
terrie
Staff

Quote:
hugh: My wonderful PS8250 with the ink-tanks separate from the heads has an incredible system where the ink used for cleaning is recycled back into the tanks .... after filtering I hope!
One would indeed hope...'-}}

Sounds very interesting as I've never heard about an inkjet that does that...is it an HP printer?

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:05 PM   #17
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Here's an old but very good review with a lot of detail on it

http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/pri...8250/page1.htm

I don't know if they still make anything that uses the O2 cartridges but they are still available eg at Staples and because they don't include the jets they are much cheaper than the traditional combined kind -- although the argument for them was that you got a new jet set every ink change, as you do with HP laserjets and the drum.

Hugh
Old 04-24-2013, 07:13 PM   #18
terrie
Staff

Quote:
hugh: Here's an old but very good review with a lot of detail on it
Thanks...interesting review particularly the lengthy discussion of the changes to ink delivery and head--all of my Epson printers have worked with the head separate from the inkcarts (700, 1160, 4000) so I didn't find that all that new or different. What I did find most interesting was the discussion about head cleaning, flushing, recycling, etc. and I thought it sounded like a really cool (and practical) approach.

Do you know if HP has continued to use this approach with their higher end inkjet printers?

Terrie
Old 04-26-2013, 06:02 PM   #19
Hugh Wyn Griffith

I'm not sure; I'll try and find out.

Hugh
Old 04-26-2013, 07:09 PM   #20
terrie
Staff

Quote:
hugh: I'm not sure; I'll try and find out.
Thanks...I'm curious...

Terrie