DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 04-26-2013, 12:55 AM   #1
johnnyboy

Default Power option for Laptop

I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop which I have connected by wifi to my main computer. Despite setting the power options to "never" it will still persist in turning the screen off after a minute. It doesn't do this when not connected. Any thoughts?
johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:57 AM   #2
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Generally there are two distinct groups of settings, one for the laptop when it's plugged in, one for when it's running on battery. I assume you're well aware of this, but figured I'd mention it in case not.

When you mention connected vs not connected, do you mean "to a power source" or "by wi-fi to the main computer"?

And is it actually turning the screen off or has it gone into screen saver mode and has no screen saver set, which'd give you a black screen?

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:36 PM   #3
BobRoosth

It is possible there is a BIOS setting for this.....
BobRoosth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:06 PM   #4
johnnyboy

Thanks for the reply Steve. Yes I am aware there are two settings and the problem is present on both.
The laptop is connected by wi-fi to the main computer and is actually very close as I am using it as a resource for a project I am working on. Hence the problem as I have to move the mouse every minute to see.
The screen goes to screensaver.
Perhaps it is worth mentioning that I am using a Sierra Aircard for connecting by wireless to the Net.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:48 PM   #5
Andrew B.
Staff

I've had to deal with this on two different computers. In both cases the location for changing the setting was not obvious. If you tell me your OS version, I might be able to help.

Old 04-26-2013, 06:30 PM   #6
johnnyboy

I have just taken the laptop into the local computer shop and rather shamefacedly I have to report that the problem was fixed and it was simple one. Apparently later versions of Windows 7 have a facility for a screensaver to come on after one minute. The girl doing the repair just switched it off and that is that. Sorry if I inconvenienced you all but I certainly was not aware of the change and during my searches on the Net I did not come across it.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:53 PM   #7
Andrew B.
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyboy View Post
Sorry if I inconvenienced you all but I certainly was not aware of the change and during my searches on the Net I did not come across it.
No problem.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:08 PM   #8
terrie
Staff

Quote:
johnnyboy: Apparently later versions of Windows 7 have a facility for a screensaver to come on after one minute.
I had this nagging thought in the very, very back of my mind and I couldn't bring it to the front. I'm glad the repair shop person realized that's what it was. I hope they didn't charge you too much...

>>Sorry if I inconvenienced you all

Not at all...now that it's fresh in our minds, hopefully we'll remember and be able to offer it as a suggestion in the future...'-}}

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:36 PM   #9
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

That's what I was suggesting might be the case. Don't feel bad. I normally have this feature enabled on my laptops and have them set to demand a password when the display comes back up. It's a nice security feature. But *every* *&^%$%#-ing* *time* I use them to run a continuous slide show, it runs for a while, then the screensaver kicks in when I'm not watching. I'm probably going to put a big piece of white tape on the deck of the laptop and write "SCREENSAVER!!!" in large unfriendly red letters.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote