DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 04-12-2013, 03:54 PM   #1
Andrew B.
Staff

Default Another impulse buy (laptop)

I've been wanting an extra laptop as a backup computer, and to maybe replace my tower computer and what it connects to, and maybe as a computer I can take places without worrying about it getting stolen from me along with all my files.

I went to the Goodwill store, and they had several identical second-hand computers for sale. Probably a donation from a business. And after a mere 15 minutes of poking at it I bought it for $125. That price does not include a mouse or power supply, which makes the deal less sweet.

Luckily I have an extra universal power supply here, which I use to make it easier to move my Sony Laptop from couch to bed and back. So technically I don't need one. And as far as mice go, I've never used a mouse that came with a computer, so I would have bought a new one anyway.

The computer is a HP Compaq 6515b. The screen is very dusty sitting there open in the store. I still have to clean it. And if I don't like the computer, I can return it within 7 days.

FWIW, this link shows the specs: http://www.notebookreview.com/defaul...eview=HP+6515b

Last edited by Andrew B.; 04-12-2013 at 04:18 PM.
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:11 PM   #2
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Looks good.

You'd probably benefit from upping the RAM from 2GB to the max of 4GB unless it has been upgraded. Here's a link to what Crucial offers for that machine (including a SSD drive for what you paid for the machine!)

Has it been Restored to Factory Condition by the built in facility? And did they make the recovery disks -- if not make them since they can only be made once.

Here's a link to Support and specifically the manuals for it. There's an immense amount of information in the HP Compaq 6515b Notebook PC and HP Compaq 6510b Notebook PC - Maintenance and Service Guide that is there including how to make recovery disks and how to use the other recovery methods.

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:30 PM   #3
terrie
Staff

Quote:
andrew: FWIW, this link shows the specs
Is there a date anywhere on that review? I can't find one and I hate it when they don't have a date--even a year would be something.

It looks like a fairly decent machine. I'm with Hugh in that I'd get more RAM if it will take it and I'd also bet that the current laptop battery is not worth much now so it might be worth looking into getting a replacement battery--there are lots of good 3rd party batteries out there because generally the OEM batteries are very pricey.

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:59 PM   #4
Andrew B.
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Wyn Griffith View Post

Has it been Restored to Factory Condition by the built in facility? And did they make the recovery disks -- if not make them since they can only be made once.
I'm not sure. After only a superficial look, my impression is someone cleaned it up using an image file. But I don't know if its from the built in facility.

Anyway, I very much appreciate the link. I have downloaded all the PDFs there. Very helpful.

Old 04-13-2013, 06:36 PM   #5
Hugh Wyn Griffith

It could be worth having a look in Disk Management to see if the drive is still partitioned as would be the case from the factory or from a Restore to Factory Condition (depending on the options offered and taken) whereas an image restore might have been just the C: partition and expanded to fill the drive space?

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:00 PM   #6
Andrew B.
Staff

Here's where it stands now.

1. I don't see anything but a C: drive. Also, the computer looks to me as though it was an image other than a factory image.

2. The hp backup utility mentioned in the manual is not there.

3. The Windows backup utility does not recognize the DVD drive, even though Windows explorer does. I've also played music on the DVD drive. But it will recognize my usb thumb drive, and told me I have to reformat it with NTFS.

4. I had a look at the ROM and it says I can boot from a USB hard disk. I don't know if it will consider a thumb drive to be a hard disk. If memory serves me, when it told me to format in NTFS, I think it referred to the thumb drive as a hard disk. I'd jump up now and double check, by my jumping up and checking days are long gone. Bad health problems force me to do things a little at a time.

Hmmm, I just remembered I do have a couple USB hard disks gathering dust. So I could use one of them.

Old 04-14-2013, 04:04 PM   #7
BobRoosth

Definitely go for 4 gb RAM.

If it still has Vista, it would be more comfortable to use with Win 7 or 8. Too bad you can no longer get 8 for $40....
BobRoosth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:40 AM   #8
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>> 3. The Windows backup utility does not recognize the DVD drive, even though Windows explorer does. I've also played music on the DVD drive.

It could be a DVD reader but not writer.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:41 PM   #9
Andrew B.
Staff

Thanks, I'll check that next time I'm at the computer.

Old 04-15-2013, 02:43 PM   #10
Andrew B.
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
Is there a date anywhere on that review? I can't find one and I hate it when they don't have a date--even a year would be something.
Yes, it says Tuesday, April 24, 2007