DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Introduce Yourself

Old 04-05-2013, 12:20 PM   #21
terrie
Staff

Quote:
anne: Last year was a complete black hole.
WOW!!! It sounds positively ghastly but I'm glad you are mending. So very sorry about the lost foal. How is the other one doing?

Welcome back...again...'-}}

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:23 PM   #22
Anne Wright

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
WOW!!! It sounds positively ghastly but I'm glad you are mending. So very sorry about the lost foal. How is the other one doing?

Welcome back...again...'-}}

Terrie
Hi, Terrie!
I had been planning for the knee replacements for a while but didn't expect the other things that happened, like losing the colt. He was the last of a very nice cross between my big mare and the stallion we've been taking her to. The stallion died after the mare was covered and my mare was the only one he was bred to in his last season.

The other colt is doing great. He's as big as the previous year's colt but he's a little more laid back - which is good considering how big he promises to be. I haven't taken any pictures recently but here is one from the day he was born.

He's gone blond in his mane and tail and his body's a little redder so that star really stands out. We call him Seamus.

Anne
Anne Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:57 PM   #23
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Hello Anne and welcome back yet again.

What a time you've been through, but I bet that gorgeous boy makes it all worthwhile.

Old 04-05-2013, 02:27 PM   #24
Hugh Wyn Griffith

My word what a plague of events. I'm glad you have come through and wonderful to see you back here.

I can't wait to show Dottie the picture of mother and foal ......

FWIW since I'm not a doctor, I'm getting a lot of relief from arthritis pain in my hands and fingers (and from gout in a big toe) with Arnicare which is a 7% arnica montana external product (I say product because it comes as an ointment, cream and gel) which is made by a French company, Boiron, that specializes in homeopathic medications.

But at that strength in my book this has nothing to do with homeopathy and they are providing a modern version of a remedy that goes back to about the 16th century; and when I was young was standard in a sports coach's kit bag for sprains and bruising.

If you are interested you can google on Arnicare and the website has an interactive Where to Buy. I get mine from a local health food store.

I've seen creams with Arnica on them in drugstores but no indication of strength so I've avoided those. I use the gel since the ointment is very sticky but the gel and the cream are absorbed quickly.

Again FWIW

Take care -- I'm sure you are in the right place for help on the website.

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:49 PM   #25
Anne Wright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Wyn Griffith View Post
My word what a plague of events. I'm glad you have come through and wonderful to see you back here.

I can't wait to show Dottie the picture of mother and foal ......

FWIW since I'm not a doctor, I'm getting a lot of relief from arthritis pain in my hands and fingers (and from gout in a big toe) with Arnicare which is a 7% arnica montana external product (I say product because it comes as an ointment, cream and gel) which is made by a French company, Boiron, that specializes in homeopathic medications.

But at that strength in my book this has nothing to do with homeopathy and they are providing a modern version of a remedy that goes back to about the 16th century; and when I was young was standard in a sports coach's kit bag for sprains and bruising.

If you are interested you can google on Arnicare and the website has an interactive Where to Buy. I get mine from a local health food store.

I've seen creams with Arnica on them in drugstores but no indication of strength so I've avoided those. I use the gel since the ointment is very sticky but the gel and the cream are absorbed quickly.

Again FWIW

Take care -- I'm sure you are in the right place for help on the website.
Hugh,
Good to see you!

The knees have been over a decade in getting ready for replacement. They took the meniscus out of the left one in 2001 and out of the right one in 2007 and I was bone on bone in both since then. It was just a matter of how long I could handle the pain that determined when I would get new knees.

I'll look for the Arnicare but there are two problems with me trying it. First most creams have a scent to them and I am allergic to most fragrances. Second, I am doing a lot of needlework, often with silks and other threads that cannot be washed, so I cannot have an cream or ointment on my hands. The good part is that the hand surgeon who did the carpal tunnel surgery considers needlework a very good therapy so I don't have to stop stitching.

ETA - I just looked at the Arnicare website and they have a non greasy gel. I'll look for that and try it. I don't have actual arthritis except in my left thumb where the cartilage is gone in the bottom joint. When I get the carpal tunnel surgery on that hand, they will also replace the cartilage with a piece of tendon. That means that hand will be in a splint for an extended period of time, so it will have to wait a while to be done.

Here is one of my recent needlework finishes - not an original design, but a major challenge:

The piece is of the classic Green Man image, the stitching technique is called "blackwork" because it used to be done mostly in black threads. It's also called Holbein stitch because Hans Holbein painted a lot of noblewomen with this type of stitchery on the edges of their sleeves and neckline. I've never stitched a "blackwork" piece with black thread.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:00 PM   #26
Anne Wright

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc View Post
Hello Anne and welcome back yet again.

What a time you've been through, but I bet that gorgeous boy makes it all worthwhile.
Ann,
It's so frustrating that I still cannot handle my horses with my unreliable body. Maybe someday. But at least I get to look at them and enjoy having the people around that take care of them for me.

I have to get out and try to get some good pictures of the boys. They are both gelded now though they still act like little stallions sometimes. Neither one is small, either.

It's good to see you and the whole crowd here!
Old 04-05-2013, 05:11 PM   #27
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

I feel the pain and frustration in not being able to handle the horses yourself. Possibly even worse as you're on the spot and unable to do so.

And I'd love to see some photos of the boys when you get a chance to take them.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:23 PM   #28
Hugh Wyn Griffith

That's amazing, the needlework. I've come across the story of the Green Man in England.

Just quickly, I use the Gel and I'm allergic to lots of stuff, especially scents -- just checked the tube and it's marked Unscented. So you should be OK.

For my wrists, just as an example, I squeeze perhaps the size of a small pea onto the inside of each wrist and then rub that part of the right wrist onto the top of the left hand and vice versa, if you can vizualize that! Spread it around that way onto the tops of the fingers .....

Then wave my hands in the air like trying to fly and it really does absorb and evaporate. (All done in private of course! <g>)

Dottie's in love with the foal.....

Take care

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:42 PM   #29
Franca
Staff

Hi, Anne! Welcome back! My goodness what a time you've had. And with more to come, but am glad it can wait a bit. The needlework looks lovely. Like Ann I am impatient for colt photos but the baby picture is stunning.

My 2013 started out badly with a fracture of my ankle - tibia and fibula both - with rupture of the ligament in between that holds the two bones together. The whole story is around here somewhere I think - haven't updated it with the latest news, though. I am only just cleared for weightbearing (yay!!!) but will be trying to wean myself of crutches ASAP now. Can't wait to quit walking with my hands and to be able to carry stuff and cook again. Arnica is my friend. I am allergic to lots of things and the cream doesn't bother me at all. Am also taking the oral stuff. I've used several brands and preparations, using Traumeel at the moment. They all seem to work equally well. Anyway, commiserations on broken and/or failing body parts!

Franca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:39 AM   #30
terrie
Staff

Quote:
anne: He was the last of a very nice cross between my big mare and the stallion we've been taking her to. The stallion died after the mare was covered and my mare was the only one he was bred to in his last season.
It's really too bad you lost him...

>>He's gone blond in his mane and tail and his body's a little redder so that star really stands out. We call him Seamus.

He's an absolute cutie! I'm so glad he's doing well...'-}}

Love your Green Man...'-}}

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote