DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Fonts & Typography

Old 06-07-2005, 03:17 PM   #1
marlene
Staff

Default "TrueType Collection" fonts

I have to typeset a page in Japanese, and the font is a .ttc file (TrueType Collection, according to my Googling).

But I can't figure out how to do whatever it is I need to do to actually use the font. Do I need to extract it or something? It's not usable as is.

TIA,

mxh
marlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 04:48 PM   #2
Michael Rowley

Marlene:

I have to typeset a page in Japanese, and the font is a .ttc file

I expect you know that a TTC contains several fonts in one file; what you may not know (I didn't) is that Windows XP apparently can't install them. FontExpert ($35) apparently can.

The TTC files are commonly used for Japanese fonts, because the Katekana script is quite limited, but there are an enormous number of Chinese/Japanese hieroglyphics.

Old 06-07-2005, 04:54 PM   #3
marlene
Staff

Quote:
what you may not know (I didn't) is that Windows XP apparently can't install them. FontExpert ($35) apparently can.
I had no idea! But $35 is a small price to pay, when the alternative would be having to tell the client I can't do the job I assured them I could do.

I am off to find FontExpert. I fervently hope it's something I can buy online and download right away ...

UPDATE: No joy. According to the FontExpert web site, FontExpert can display and print installed .ttc fonts, but it cannot actually INSTALL them.

ANOTHER UPDATE: I slid the .ttc font into the Windows fonts folder to see what would happen, and the darned thing installed itself! It now displays AND prints in Word. So, there's one crisis averted.

Now I need to figure out how to make the font work in Quark! When I select the Japanese font in Quark, it does not display in Japanese (I get a bunch of garbage characters).

And I have to do this job in Quark -- the client supplied a Quark template.

This is giving me a migraine.

FINAL (?) UPDATE:

Well, I have discovered that InDesign WILL see the Japanese font, and will create a PDF with the font embedded. Hurray! Now all I need to do is learn to use InDesign in one day!

mxh

Last edited by marlene; 06-07-2005 at 07:33 PM.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:30 AM   #4
Michael Rowley

Marlene:

I slid the .ttc font into the Windows fonts folder to see what would happen, and the darned thing installed itself! It now displays AND prints in Word. So, there's one crisis averted

That's a relief! (Though I've yet to encounter a TTC file.) Both Adobe and Microsoft describe TTC files in some detail: they are still used for more than one OT font, which of course is a likely format for CKJ scripts.

Old 06-08-2005, 01:26 PM   #5
Michael Rowley

Marlee:

Though I've yet to encounter a TTC file—Michael R.

Apparently I had several TTC files in 2002 (several 10 Mbyte!). They must have been on my computer briefly during a Windows update; they're all recorded as having been recycled though. The corresponding TTF fonts were all various CKJ fonts and are no longer on my computer. The interesting thing is that I was still using Windows 2000 at the time.

I hope you're enjoying working with InDesign!

Old 06-08-2005, 07:02 PM   #6
marlene
Staff

Quote:
Both Adobe and Microsoft describe TTC files in some detail
You're not kidding! The web pages I found went into excruciating technical detail. My eyes were glazing over. I just want to know how to use the thing, not what was going on behind the curtain. <g>

mxh
Old 06-08-2005, 07:04 PM   #7
marlene
Staff

IIRC, I also found the Japanese font on my old W2k machine (who knew?).

I haven't tackled InDesign yet -- first I need to backsave my Quark template to version 4, since InDesign won't open Quark 5 files.

I wonder if the new version of InDesign opens newer Quark files. It'll be days before I get a chance to install the new Creative Suite.

mxh
Old 06-09-2005, 07:26 AM   #8
Michael Rowley

Marlene:

I just want to know how to use the thing

I had difficulty in finding out too, which led me to misinterpret the table on the ExpertFont page. I suppose if we used CKJ fonts regularly we'd know all about TTCs.

Old 06-09-2005, 01:17 PM   #9
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rowley
Marlene:

I just want to know how to use the thing

I had difficulty in finding out too, which led me to misinterpret the table on the ExpertFont page. I suppose if we used CKJ fonts regularly we'd know all about TTCs.
Would that it were so. Marlene and I have been exchanging email about this.

Despite my having used various Japanese language fonts for years and even having a Japanese version of Windows and Office lying around on a virtual machine here somewhere, it's the first I've heard of TTC.

Mostly ignorance on my part I'm sure. Or failure to read the Help files in Japanese? Yes, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it like white on rice.

Pretty entertaining, though, installing Windows-J and Office-J. Luckily I'd installed the English versions of both not long previous so could generally guess what the screen prompts were asking.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 02:46 PM   #10
Michael Rowley

Steve:

Despite my having used various Japanese language fonts for years

I don't know how Japanese fonts were managed pre-OT, and if 'for years' is long enough ago, they might not have been supplied as TTCs and almost certainly not as OT. One of my daughters brought home a lap-top some years ago when she had been working in Japan, but I think all the fonts were pre-installed. I'll have to look at her Web site, which has a lot of information about Japanese (and more lately, Thai).