DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Design

Old 03-26-2013, 03:58 PM   #1
Ronald

Default Critique My Auto Shop Logo, Please

A local tire shop is having me design a logo. Their current design is a dynamic set of blue and red text with flames sweeping off the top like some sort of muscle car logo. So far I showed the owner my first set of concepts and he immediately was drawn to my horizontal text layout. Sadly for me, he wasn't too fond of the cheerful serviceman graphic I created; however, I got him to consider the circular logo for the breast of a shirt. I told him that most local auto shops don't have a personification or mascot and that it will both stand out and have a vintage charm that seems to be gaining popularity in the modern marketing/design world. He said he'd look it over more and maybe "warm up" to it. Below is essentially the batch that I showed him; the only real change is the addition of "Est. '92" on the circular logos. I'd like to tidy up the serviceman graphic to be more realistic yet still very simplified. I might also decrease the size of the serviceman graphic as paired with the horizontal text. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Last edited by Ronald; 03-27-2013 at 05:41 AM.
Ronald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:31 PM   #2
Andrew B.
Staff

I don't see examples.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:41 AM   #3
Ronald

Sorry; I must've still been organizing my account. It's up now.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:27 AM   #4
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

He doesn't like the guy? Really? I think he's great ... he practically screams Good Old Fashioned Service. In a quiet way, of course. ;-)

I'm partial to the first one, the one w/o the circle, but I could see using both, the first for letterhead, the others where the more compact shape would be more appropriate. Is the little "flame" off the top of the "A" in "Auto" deliberate?

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:50 AM   #5
Ronald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg View Post
He doesn't like the guy? Really? I think he's great ... he practically screams Good Old Fashioned Service. In a quiet way, of course. ;-)

I'm partial to the first one, the one w/o the circle, but I could see using both, the first for letterhead, the others where the more compact shape would be more appropriate. Is the little "flame" off the top of the "A" in "Auto" deliberate?
Thanks a lot, Steve! I'm really glad you like the serviceman; I feel the exact same about him.

The spike on the 'A' is an Adobe Illustrator glitch, from a heavy stroke weight, I believe. I wasn't sure people would notice it, but I should probably lay a white shape over it for now.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:13 AM   #6
LoisWakeman
Staff

I think they are great and the guy is just right: nostalgia for good service is a great hook.

As a Brit, I can't see "tire" without wincing (or yawning) - but that's just transatlantic spelling for you!

Of the two circular ones, I think the black border version is more eyecatching.
LoisWakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:22 AM   #7
Andrew B.
Staff

I'm going to disagree with the others. This doesn't ring a nostalgia bell for me in a good way. Also, you can run into trouble depending on the ethnicity and grooming habits of his target customers. One quick litmus test would be to ask him to ask some good customers which they like better, this one or the previous one.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:56 AM   #8
terrie
Sysop

I like the guy too but his right hand and arm (holding the tire) could use a bit more work--the fingers are odd looking (particularly the 1st 2--perhaps taper the ends a bit more) and arm is too short/out of proportion to the left arm. I don't see the issues Andrew does with him.

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:33 PM   #9
Ronald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B. View Post
This doesn't ring a nostalgia bell for me in a good way. Also, you can run into trouble depending on the ethnicity and grooming habits of his target customers. One quick litmus test would be to ask him to ask some good customers which they like better, this one or the previous one.
Grooming habits? Could elaborate on what you mean? The serviceman isn't intended to be a low-wage Latino immigrant if that's what you mean; he's actually inspired by my dad (a Caucasian, German, Catholic farm boy) who's helped me with my automobile over the years, intended to conjure the theme of 20th century Americana. I intend on improving the likeness to represent him better yet maintain simplicity.

As for the ethnicity of customers, it's a Midwestern college town, so there's probably a some diversity but I'm sure it's mostly Caucasian. Thanks for your input, Andrew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
I like the guy too but his right hand and arm (holding the tire) could use a bit more work--the fingers are odd looking (particularly the 1st 2--perhaps taper the ends a bit more) and arm is too short/out of proportion to the left arm. I don't see the issues Andrew does with him.
You're right, Terrie. I plan on fixing up those blocky fingers and, although I like the current level of detail, I may simplify the serviceman graphic slightly more due to the shop owner's apprehension about its use in small-scale.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:55 PM   #10
Franca
Staff

I like the serviceman also. And every business should have both horizontal and vertical (or round/square) logos for different uses, IMO. As well as maybe a "reversed" version if needed. Don't forget to fix the apostrophe. (Can't quite believe I'm the first to mention that.)

Franca is offline   Reply With Quote