DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Fonts & Typography

Old 06-05-2005, 10:20 AM   #1
Michael Rowley

Default ATM Deluxe (Win) fails to recognize all fonts

I have been using FontTrans for converting Windows T1 fonts into TT fonts, but sometimes ATM Deluxe fails to recognize all the fonts, although the files can be opened in Font Viewer.

For instance, I have converted 9 Minion T1 font files into TT font files, but ATM only recognizes 4—and not even 4 that form a set. I think it may be a naming problem: possibly FontTrans is not naming the files correctly, or ATM does not recognize the naming convention.

FontTrans gives me three choices for naming the Win TT fonts (8.3, PS name, or 'long name'—what's that?), but as the source fonts are Win T1, they have 8.3 names already, though different from the TT name; for instance, 'MJB_____.PFB' becomes a slightly less enigmatic 'MINIONEB.TTF' (both are Minion Expert Bold).

Any help will be gratefully received! I'm all at sea.

Old 06-05-2005, 12:33 PM   #2
Michael Rowley

Corrigendum:

For 'FontTrans' read 'TransType'.

Old 06-05-2005, 06:43 PM   #3
marlene
Staff

I don't know anything about TransType, but I've used a couple other programs for converting fonts, and whatever problems I've run into using the fonts were always due to naming.

These days I use TypeTool for kerning fonts, and it's got a lot of naming going on.

In addition to the actual 8.3 filenames, TypeTool's info window lists. Here's a sample listing for my own version of Garamond Bold (I add "MX" to the font name so I know it's a font I've kerned).

A family name, which can have spaces (I think this is the name that shows up in applications), e.g.: Garamond Book BT ITC MX

And another name (TypeTool calls it a "font name"), can't have spaces, e.g.: Garamond-Bold-BT-ITC-MX

A "full name" which can have spaces, e.g.: Garamond Bold BT ITC MX

A "menu name" which can have spaces, e.g.: Garamond Book BT ITC MX (IIRC, this has to match the family name)

It also lists "FOND" name, although I don't know what that's for: Garamond Book BT ITC MX

I also have to make sure the style setting for each font in a family is correct, or the fonts won't link properly or won't show up.

I've used other programs that handled the naming differently (had different titles for the categories, etc.) and I still get confused by it all ...

Also, I've never converted T1 fonts to TT, so there might be something completely different going on there.

mxh
marlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 12:46 PM   #4
terrie
Staff

Before we lost the other posts to this thread, you mentioned that a couple of the conversions worked and I asked if there was a pattern to the ones that worked...

I also wondered if fonts had internal filenames as color management profiles (monitors, work spaces, paper) do...if so, that internal name needs to be modified when the external name is modified--easier to do on the mac side than the pc side...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 01:54 PM   #5
Michael Rowley

Terrie:

I did reply, but the reply seems to have been lost. In short: I coudn't make out what distinguished the two files that weren't recognized by ATM Deluxe from the four that were. Neither can I make out why TransType would only transform two files out of 13!

I'm going to read up on font-naming; meanwhile, I shall stick to transforming OTF font files to TT/OT font files.

Old 06-08-2005, 11:54 AM   #6
terrie
Staff

>>michaelr: I'm going to read up on font-naming; meanwhile, I shall stick to transforming OTF font files to TT/OT font files.

Do keep us posted...I'm most interested...

Terrie
Old 06-08-2005, 12:15 PM   #7
Michael Rowley

Terrie:

Do keep us posted...I'm most interested

Yes, I shall—providing I can understand any of it. I know already that all OT fonts have a 'names' table, so transformations between PS and TT OT fonts should cause no difficulty in either direction.

Another thing I picked up is that OT font files may have PS outlines, TT outlines, or both. If they contain PS outlines or both PS & TT, they have the OTF extension; only if they only contain TT outline information do they have the TT extension. All font collections have the file extension TTC, but the individual fonts may be OT.

Old 06-08-2005, 01:13 PM   #8
terrie
Staff

>>michaelr: Another thing I picked up is that OT font files may have PS outlines, TT outlines, or both.

I think I've read that somewhere...

Terrie
Old 06-09-2005, 11:34 AM   #9
Michael Rowley

Terrie:

I've confirmed that ATM Deluxe fails to recognize

Eurocrat.ttf
Eurocrat-MediumItalic.ttf

but did recognize

Eurocrat-Bold.ttf
Eurocrat-BoldItalic.ttf
Eurocrat-Italic.ttf
Eurocrat-Medium.ttf.

If you or anyone else can see a common feature in those two groups, I'd be glad to hear it. The pfb files had 8.3 names, but that is no longer necessary. Windows Font Viewer can see all six Eurocrat TTF files.

Old 06-10-2005, 11:09 AM   #10
terrie
Staff

>>michael: If you or anyone else can see a common feature in those two groups,

Well...there's the obvious...

1. "Eurocrat.ttf" does not have a dash--could you try naming it something like "Euro-crat.tff" or "Eurocrat-Norm.ttf"?

2. "Eurocrat-MediumItalic.tff" is 21 chars (before the .tff) and the longest one that was accepted is "Eurocrat-BoldItalic.ttf" which is 19 chars (before the .ttf)...maybe rename is to "Eurocrat-MedItalic.ttf"???

Grasping at straws???

Terrie