DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > General Publishing Topics

Old 02-18-2013, 02:40 PM   #1
johnnyboy

Default PDF Editing

Here in Australia we have the old newspapers digitised and available online under the name of Trove. When a searched article comes up it has an OCR panel on the left. The options available at the top of this panel for copying are PDF, JPG and TXT. The PDF copy is taken from the newspaper and I wondered if that could be edited with a suitable PDF program. I think this is a forlorn hope as my attempts to do so have so far proved.
johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:02 PM   #2
Howard Allen

PDFs were never really intended for editing. They're the digital equivalent of a printed page. You can do some minor editing, mostly along the lines of replacing a few characters to fix typos, etc. Sort of the digital equivalent of dabbing out letters on a printed page with white-out and replacing them with rub-on Letraset (do they still make that stuff?). Doing any significant editing, like changing blocks of text or inserting stuff is awkward at best.

Another problem is that some of those archive-type PDFs are raster images: photos of the page, so there's no actual text to edit. Some of them are generated by OCR software and contain a hidden layer of editable text underneath the page image; these are frequently peppered with OCR errors, in my experience, but usable if you're willing to do some proofreading.

If you really need editable text, your best option is probably the .TXT file.

OSX 10.10.5
Howard Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:23 PM   #3
johnnyboy

Thanks Howard. I thought that would be the case. I have been copying the TXT files into Word and correcting them with the PDF version on the other monitor as the guide. I am engaged in putting together 100 plus articles of 4000-6000 words each that were produced in 1883-85. It is a long job so I was looking for an easier way. I am up to No. 40 so I guess I will get there eventually.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:29 PM   #4
BobRoosth

I assume you mean this site: http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper

Clearly scanned or photographed. You are lucky there is any usable OCRd text.
BobRoosth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:18 PM   #5
johnnyboy

It is not too bad. Of course there are a lot of corrections needed on the raw copy. However Trove has come up with what I regard as an excellent system of correction. Registered members can go in and correct the text and this has resulted in a lot of the articles being fairly good. I have done some but if you delve into the site you can find the people who have done corrections and they are ranked by who has done the most. The top ones have done a staggering amount.

Last edited by johnnyboy; 02-19-2013 at 04:18 PM.