DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 02-11-2013, 05:39 AM   #1
dthomsen8

Default Thunderbird 17.02 Connection

I am able to go to COMCAST.COM and read and send email, but I cannot connect with Thunderbird. I have password difficulties. Please advise.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:27 PM   #2
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

I've never used comcast or Thunderbird, but here goes anyway.

Have you ever managed to connect to your comcast account with Thunderbird?

Assuming you have connected successfully in the past with Thunderbird, have you checked your email settings in Thunderbird to make sure they are all correct? Including the password.

What is the wording of the error message?

Old 02-11-2013, 01:42 PM   #3
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

"Password difficulties" means what, specifically?

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:49 PM   #4
terrie
Staff

Quote:
dthomsen8: but I cannot connect with Thunderbird. I have password difficulties. Please advise.
Give us a screen shot of the comcast account definition in Thunderbird (in tbird: Tools > Account Settings, highlight the comcast account > server settings) so we can see what you've got set. Also, what specific difficulties?

I no longer have a comcast broadband account but used to and I had no problems accessing it via tbird so I may be able to help. Alternatively, delete the tbird comcast account and then start again by adding the account:

1. In tbird Tools > Account with the comcast account highlighted, scroll down to the bottom left side of the account(s) screen, click on the "Account Actions" box and select "remove account" from the drop down

2. Close tbird, reopen, Tools > Account, scroll down again to "Account Actions" and choose "Add" to start all over again

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:25 AM   #5
dthomsen8

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
Give us a screen shot of the comcast account definition in Thunderbird (in tbird: Tools > Account Settings, highlight the comcast account > server settings) so we can see what you've got set. Also, what specific difficulties?

I no longer have a comcast broadband account but used to and I had no problems accessing it via tbird so I may be able to help. Alternatively, delete the tbird comcast account and then start again by adding the account:

1. In tbird Tools > Account with the comcast account highlighted, scroll down to the bottom left side of the account(s) screen, click on the "Account Actions" box and select "remove account" from the drop down

2. Close tbird, reopen, Tools > Account, scroll down again to "Account Actions" and choose "Add" to start all over again

Terrie

Terrie,

While the delete and add the account worked fine on an account I don't care about, removing the account also deleted all the messages I had, in or out.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:31 AM   #6
dthomsen8

Default Screen shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8 View Post
I am able to go to COMCAST.COM and read and send email, but I cannot connect with Thunderbird. I have password difficulties. Please advise.
I can get all the mail, but cannot send any. Here are some screen shots.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tbird20.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	1832   Click image for larger version

Name:	tbird22.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	1833   Click image for larger version

Name:	tbird23.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	193.0 KB
ID:	1834   Click image for larger version

Name:	tbird24.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	1835  
Old 02-23-2013, 12:02 PM   #7
terrie
Staff

Quote:
dthomsen8: I can get all the mail, but cannot send any. Here are some screen shots.
I've never seen an error message quite like that--it's sort of a timeout message which I have seen. From looking at your screen shots, I'm wondering about your Port number--465. Have you tried setting it to 587 which seems to be the standard these days?

Sorry about your losing your messages. It's been a long time since I deleted an account and I don't remember losing anything but perhaps that's because I don't save mail in the standard mail folders. Did you look in your Windows' User area/Documents and Settings for Thunderbird to see if perhaps the folders for the account are still there?

Terrie
Old 02-23-2013, 05:12 PM   #8
Howard Allen

Able to receive email but can't send is usually a SMTP server issue in my experience. This is a common complaint when you're travelling, and trying to use email through a hotel or some other 3rd party internet connection. If this is the case, you have to change your SMTP server setting (probably something like comcast.smtp.com) to the local SMTP server (if you're at a hotel, ask at the front desk). In any case, check to see what your SMTP server field is set to, and see if it looks reasonable (Is it empty? Mangled? Completely goofy?).

I've never used T-bird and I'm very naive about Windows in general, but in the Mac world there are application preference files that occasionally get corrupted and need to be trashed and re-created if something funky starts happening for no apparent reason. Also, there may be settings in T-bird along the lines of "clear cache", "reset", "rebuild", etc. Worth a look.

Also, I'd be very surprised if deleting an email account would remove all your messages. More likely they're still in a folder somewhere but T-bird just can't find them because it no longer has the path to the folder.

OSX 10.10.5
Howard Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:31 PM   #9
terrie
Staff

Quote:
howard: In any case, check to see what your SMTP server field is set to, and see if it looks reasonable (Is it empty? Mangled? Completely goofy?).
Given his screenshot the server name looks reasonable (smtp.comcast.net) but his port number is odd at 465--I think 587 is much more common these days...

Terrie
Old 02-24-2013, 02:22 AM   #10
Kelvyn
Staff

Common SMTP ports:
  • SMTP – port 25 or 2525 or 587
  • Secure SMTP (SSL / TLS) – port 465 or 25 or 587, 2526 (Elastic Email)
I use port 110 for smtp - list of US mail ports is on http://www.c3sd.com/email_servers_ports.php

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote