DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > General Publishing Topics

Old 06-04-2005, 11:21 AM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default Apple to move Mac to Intel

According to a June 3 report on C|Net, Apple is “to ditch IBM, switch to Intel chips,” beginning in mid-2006 (Mac Mini) and continuing through mid-2007 with the high-end Mac models.

Steve Jobs is expected to make the announcement at the Apple Worldwide Developer Conference, which opens in S.F. on Monday. If he does so, it will confirm rumors that have been around for a couple of weeks.

As a Mac user, the whole notion of another major shift leaves me feeling weary. All I have is questions. I have to assume that such a change would force major rewrites to optimize apps for the new platform.

For the design community, what about workflow? What about established practices for passing files across platforms and on to prepress and printing systems? Oy.

Would it mean that Macs could then run any OS: Mac, Unix, Linux, and Windows? Then why would application developers bother with any of those except the dominant one?

Anyway, interesting, if not entirely pleasant news. Too bad it wasn’t dated April 1 instead of June 3 …

Old 06-04-2005, 12:10 PM   #2
djb

If true, it doesn't necessarily mean a move to x86... Perhaps a new architecture?

But I don't believe it, actually. It would mean the death of Apple hardware sales for several quarters, maybe a full year. It would mean that EVERY software developer would have to rewrite their software...

My guess is that the CINet report has a grain of truth but is misinterpreting that grain. Could it be that Intel is going to licence the PPC chipset?
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 01:26 PM   #3
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djb
If true, it doesn't necessarily mean a move to x86... Perhaps a new architecture?

But I don't believe it, actually. It would mean the death of Apple hardware sales for several quarters, maybe a full year. It would mean that EVERY software developer would have to rewrite their software...

My guess is that the CINet report has a grain of truth but is misinterpreting that grain. Could it be that Intel is going to licence the PPC chipset?
I guess we’ll have to wait until Monday, when — maybe — we’ll hear the straight info.

Old 06-04-2005, 01:46 PM   #4
djb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
I guess we’ll have to wait until Monday, when — maybe — we’ll hear the straight info.
The chatter on the comp.sys.mac.* newsgroups is leaning strongly to the "Intel making PPC chips" meme. As you say, we'lll know on Monday.
Old 06-04-2005, 02:01 PM   #5
don Arnoldy
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
I have to assume that such a change would force major rewrites to optimize apps for the new platform.
Nope, not at all. One of the advantages of UNIX's (and OS X is based on Berkeley Standard UNIX) kernal & shell structure is that it increases the OS's transportability.

This means that they can change the part of the OS that talks to the CPU without changing the part that talks to the applications.

There has been talk about Apple making an Intel-chip-capable version of the Mac OS since OSX was first in beta.

Old 06-04-2005, 02:47 PM   #6
djb

Quote:
Originally Posted by don Arnoldy
...There has been talk about Apple making an Intel-chip-capable version of the Mac OS since OSX was first in beta.
Since System 7, Don.

But announcing a chipset change to the x86 would be economic suicide for Apple. Hrdware sales would stop in anticipation of the new hardware, and the meme "well, if even Apple is going to Intel, I may as well buy a Windows box/stay with Windows" would sweep the globe in hours.

My guess is one of the following will occur:

a) The report is wrong and there will be no such announcement

b) The announcement will be that Intel will be manufacturing PPC chips for Apple, with some horsepower bump like dual-core, or possibly a new twist (G6?)

c) The announcement will have something to do with chips other than the CPU
Old 06-04-2005, 06:12 PM   #7
don Arnoldy
Curmudgeon

Something is going on...last week, the new president of Intel said at a conference that people who are concerned about security issues and looking for a fast fix should buy a macintosh.

something is going on!

Old 06-04-2005, 08:43 PM   #8
djb

That's not exactly what happened, Don. Do the Google and check the exact words quoted...
Old 06-04-2005, 08:51 PM   #9
don Arnoldy
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by djb
check the exact words quoted...
here they are:

Quote:
Macworld Daily News
Friday - May 27, 2005
‘Avoid risks, buy a Mac’ - Intel chief
By Macworld staff
Intel CEO Paul Otellini has told consumers: "buy a Mac if you want to avoid security risks".
The Wall Street Journal claims that the statement was made by Otellini at the Wall Street Journal technology conference this week.
He revealed that he spends an hour a weekend removing spyware from his daughter's computer and suggested that the mainstream computer user in search of immediate safety from security woes should buy a Mac instead of a Wintel PC.
"If you want to fix it tomorrow, maybe you should buy something else," he said.
The Register suggests that the comment is "really a public flirtation for Apple CEO Steve Jobs".

Old 06-05-2005, 07:58 AM   #10
Cristen Gillespie

I've been reading up on CPUs in preparation for a new Windows machine, and I wonder if IBM isn't wanting to, or ready for, dual core chips? So Intel sort of has one and maybe Apple wants it???

Only I've also been reading (way above my head) that Intel's dual core is really 2 singles glued together, it uses the South or Northbridge to communicate???, and has a lot of latency issues, whereas AMD is a true dual core and outperforms, so far, the Intel dual core chip.

A Glued-together dual core if it works right is probably okay for most of us, but the talk is Intel wasn't prepared for dual core while AMD did it, and AMD's chip is currently cooler and more efficient. IBM may not have been prepared, and Intel does have something ready. AMD isn't big enough to be considered by Apple as a chip-maker.

The reason to go with dual core is more speed creates more heat, so a slower chip times two is faster with less heat, I think...<G> The mini certainly would benefit from speed minus any increase in heat, as would the iMac, since both are very difficult to add more cooling to. And if I were going that way, I'd experiment on the lowest end models too.

Just guessing here.