DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > General Publishing Topics

Old 06-04-2005, 11:01 AM   #1
marlene
Staff

Default Re-partitioning drives on PC

I've got a 36 GB drive that was originally partitioned into three partitions. First one (C has the OS only, second partition (D has my applications, third partition has data files.

My C: and D: partitions are too small -- I need to install Creative Suite2, but got a warning that it would leave very little empty space on the D drive. C: drive has adequate space to run the OS, but not enough to install any apps on that drive.

I can easily move all the files from the third partition (which would give me nearly 20 GB of free space).

So my options would then be to either install Creative Suite 2 on the third partition, or to install Partition Magic (I have version 7 around here someplace -- never installed it on the new PC) and either:

1. combine the second and third partition to create one big partition

2. rob some space from the third partition to increase the size of the second partition

I kind of like option 2, because then my drive letters would not change.

It would also be nice to add some space to the C: drive, but not absolutely necessary. Since I never install apps on that drive, it's not going to fill up any more than it already is, and so far XP has not complained.

I don't think I've ever used PM to resize/repartition drives containing the OS or applications -- will it work? I assume I'd need to install PM on an entirely separate hard drive (not the one it would be resizing).

Also, how to I change a drive format from FAT32 to NTFS? It's a SCSI drive, so I suspect I might have to go into the Adaptec utility or something like that...

TIA,

mxh
marlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 11:16 AM   #2
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Why not back all your data up very carefully (cds, dvds, tapes, etc.) then get a firewire or usb2 external drive, back EVERYTHING up to it, especially your data, then repartition the internal drive to remove the third partition, giving its space to the other two as needed.

Externals are not that expensive and would also allow you to move whole projects to another machine to work on/back up/whatever.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 11:26 AM   #3
marlene
Staff

Hmm. Let me rephrase the question, since now I'm confused!

I do already have an external USB2 drive (200 GB). I use DriveImage to backup entire partitions to that drive. (I also use it to quickly make copies of files/folders when I don't have time to back up an entire partition.)

When you say "repartition the internal drive" do you mean with Partition Magic, or the hard way? What I want to do is install PM7 (on one of my other drives -- I have several internal HDs) and use it to either (as you said) remove the third partition, giving its space to the other two as needed, OR downsize the third partition, giving SOME of its space to the other two as needed.

I'm not sure if I want to lose the drive letter entirely -- or is it okay to have drives/partitions skip a letter? If not, I can probably rename my last drive/partition (J to F: so there's no letters missing.

I am moving files (all data files, no apps) off my F drive now, in anticipation of running this process today ...

I've already backed up my C and D partitions, just in case ...

FvH
Old 06-04-2005, 11:48 AM   #4
marlene
Staff

Just realized there's a "pagefile.sys" on the F: partition (the one I want to rob).

Do I need to worry about that?

FvH
Old 06-05-2005, 08:46 AM   #5
Cristen Gillespie

I'm no expert, but I just did this with PM8. You need to have a swapfile (pagefile) for the OS, preferably separate from the OS so it won't need defragging. It doesn't have to be terribly large, though. I robbed Peter to pay Paul, increasing my C drive. When you say you never install apps to C so it won't have to be any bigger, you're thinking old school.

Gates got it into his head to tell everyone to install oodles of stuff on the C drive. I know that Painter and Adobe both take up huge amounts of it, even with the apps installed on another drive, as mine are.

Depending upon Standard or Premium, you'll find Adobe wants 1-1.5 Gb on your C drive. By default, your cache for PS (File Browser, but now Bridge) is also centralized on the C drive. There's a pref to use distributed cache (the cache files go into each folder that gets cached whenever possible, but remember every CD/DVD gets cached, and that means the central cache.)

I don't know how much free space you have on your C, but be sure you've easily got at least 1.5Gb free, and while you're partitioning, remember that if you're going to install other new apps, you may find they now use a lot more of the C drive too.

My pagefile is about 2X the amount of RAM I have, and I haven't had a problem with that -- yet<G>

Good luck!

Old 06-05-2005, 12:16 PM   #6
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlene
Hmm. Let me rephrase the question, since now I'm confused!

I do already have an external USB2 drive (200 GB). I use DriveImage to backup entire partitions to that drive. (I also use it to quickly make copies of files/folders when I don't have time to back up an entire partition.)

When you say "repartition the internal drive" do you mean with Partition Magic, or the hard way? What I want to do is install PM7 (on one of my other drives -- I have several internal HDs) and use it to either (as you said) remove the third partition, giving its space to the other two as needed, OR downsize the third partition, giving SOME of its space to the other two as needed.

I'm not sure if I want to lose the drive letter entirely -- or is it okay to have drives/partitions skip a letter? If not, I can probably rename my last drive/partition (J to F: so there's no letters missing.

I am moving files (all data files, no apps) off my F drive now, in anticipation of running this process today ...

I've already backed up my C and D partitions, just in case ...

FvH
Repartition with Partition Magic, of course. Unless you enjoy the alternative and have the time to devote to it. (IWC, maybe you'd like the number of my root canal guy too?).

Mainly, the think runs, it's simple and painless to move your data; painful to move the OS 'n Apps.

As to what partition gets which letter ...hmm. I think you can use the Disk Manager dealie in Win NT and up to change the way drive letters map to partitions, so that might let you keep all your data on the current drive letter.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 06-05-2005, 12:19 PM   #7
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlene
Just realized there's a "pagefile.sys" on the F: partition (the one I want to rob).

Do I need to worry about that?

FvH
You'll want to set up the page file on one of the other drives that you're not going to move, make it way smaller, then delete this one.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 06-05-2005, 07:15 PM   #8
marlene
Staff

Quote:
You'll want to set up the page file on one of the other drives that you're not going to move, make it way smaller, then delete this one.
Yep. I'm gonna put the pagefile.sys on another drive entirely, one that I am not going to fiddle with. Do I need more than one pagefile.sys? There's one on C: and one on F:.

FvH
Old 06-05-2005, 07:21 PM   #9
marlene
Staff

I've got a pagefile.sys on both the C: and F: drives. I'll ditch the one on F: and put one on G: (which is a completely different drive, and one that I am not going to resize).

But should I do anything about the pagefile on the C: drive?

I've got 1.75 GB free on the C: drive -- not much, I know. I'll increase that drive's size, too.

I don't know how big my pagefiles are, or why. I can't remember if I ever changed them or left them at the builder's defaults.

This is all taking much longer than I expected. All I wanted to do is install CS2, but now I'm doing all this housecleaning! I am burning CD after CD, trying to archive as much data as I can -- I figure it will take less time to run Partition Magic if my drives are less full.

mxh
Old 06-07-2005, 12:56 PM   #10
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

I think Windas can use more than one but doesn't need more. IOW, stick with one on C until the Big Wind of Change has died down.

www.pptools.com
and stuff