DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 01-28-2013, 07:31 AM   #1
GKW

Default Need a printer

I need some input on printers. I prefer a printer that will print color flyers, double sided. Also capable of handeling smaller projects. Print quality being the most important aspect. I am looking for minimum investment in the beginning.

Any advise will be helpful.
GKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:40 AM   #2
terrie
Staff

I don't know much about color laser printers so I can't give you any advice about them because my experience when printing color is with Epson inkjet printers--I have an wideformat (17") Epson 4000. What is the max paper size you will be using--13" or wider? I'm not sure any inkjet printer is a duplex printer--auto double-sided printing vs. manually flipping the paper over to print on the backside of the sheet.

Take a look at the Epson Aritsan 1430 ($250-ish) and the Epson Stylus Photo R2000 ($500-ish) and Epson Stylus Photo R2880 ($500-ish)--prices are from the Epson website so you may be able to find them elsewhere for a bit less.

The Epson Stylus Photo line of printers are a bit more sophisticated than the Artisan which is classed as a home/home office printer where the Stylus Photo are geared more towards image printing althrough they will certainly print regular text stuff nicely too. The Stylus Photo printers also come with larger ink carts using Epsons UltraChrome inks--longer lasting, more "professional" quality inks than the Artisan Claria inks.

I don't know anything much about Canon printers but I'd certainly take a look at them also.

Hope that helps...

Terrie

PS: Welcome to the forum....'-}}
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:10 AM   #3
GKW

Thank you. At this point I am gathering all the information I can. I find knowing what works or doesn't for others helpful. I will gladly check those printers out. I am also looking at Cannon and Konica Minolta. I am currently getting set up so I have the equipment to begin learning and producing as I go. A finished product will tell me what I need to improve upon. Thank you for the welcome and the information.
GKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:41 PM   #4
terrie
Staff

Quote:
gkw: I am also looking at Cannon and Konica Minolta.
First...it's Canon--one "n"...'-}}

My totally-based-on-impression (vs. hard facts...'-}}) is that the Konica Minoltas are all laser based. I have an HP 2200D which is a monochrome laser printer and I use it for daily printing--I use my Epson 4000 to print my imaging work--and it's very ecnomical as the laser cart lasts for a long time (years in my case). I don't know much about color lasers other than they are pricier to operate than the monochrome lasers and I don't know how well one can color manage them (so whatever you print matches your screen) but I suspect it can be done.

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:20 PM   #5
Robin Springall

Location: Ealing Common, London W5, where I duplicate CDs and DVDs.

I'm very pleased with my Konica Minolta Biz Hib C253, but if you want something smaller and more economical they have many A4 models.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:58 PM   #6
Kayza

For color, if you are looking for minimum investment, with decent cost per page, you are probably best off with an inkjet. I've had good experiences with some of the HP models. The one we used most heavily was the k8600 (no longer in production. ) It gave very nice quality, handled card stock nicely and was able to duplex lighter cards (but still real cards.) The one thing I would probably not have done on this machine is print a really large number of pages on it at once. But, for smaller jobs, it was really nice.
Kayza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:53 PM   #7
tphinney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayza View Post
For color, if you are looking for minimum investment, with decent cost per page, you are probably best off with an inkjet.
With all due respect, the second phrase of that sentence is pure madness.

Inkjets are cheaper than laser printers to buy, but laser printers blow inkjet printers away at cost per page; they are significantly cheaper to operate. How much cheaper varies depending on what models you are comparing, but on average, maybe 1/3 the price per page.

Some of that gets made up in the extra costs of other consumables in the laser. (Fuser needs replacing periodically, etc.) But it is cheaper to operate, and double-sided is an option.

Photo type image quality will be significantly better on the inkjet, however.

For some color laser options, look at the Xerox Phaser 6500/6600 models. With the optional duplexer you are looking at aorund $300-350.
tphinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:47 PM   #8
BobRoosth

One other benefit of laser printers, color or monochrome; they really don't care how many days it has been since one last printed. They just work. Some inkjet models have real clogging problems if they go unused for many days, or they chew through ink getting the nozzles flushed out.
BobRoosth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:50 AM   #9
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Considering the the original request was for printing double-side flyers among other things, I'm assuming that GKW will print these in more than just neighborhood-flyer quantities.

That gives a pretty strong push toward the laser printer.

The formula seems to be:

Lots of printing, ok quality: Laser
Limited printing, photo quality: Inkjet

I'm astounded at the price of the Phaser printers these days. With ethernet and true Adobe PostScript, no less. And at that price, they include 1000-page cartridges. Impressive.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:45 PM   #10
Hugh Wyn Griffith

The downside of color laser printers is the cost of replacing 4 toner cartridges which often adds up to as much as or more than replacing the whole thing as new!

According to this page a full set of 2500page color _ 3000 page black would cost $455 with the printer $300 - $350 according to configuration and rebates. I calculate that as 18¢ just for toner if they all ran out at the 2500 mark -- I don't have a CPP calculated on average color distribution eg per ISO.

There are color inkjets which do beat color laser printers on cost per page too. Some of the HP Officejets for example from what I hear from someone recently retired from dealing with them and knowing the customer reaction.

For example the OJ 8600 << The average cost per color page, according to HP, is 7.2 cents. >> which comes from an article in Computerworld

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is online now   Reply With Quote