DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Old 06-03-2005, 07:10 PM   #1
marlene
Staff

Default Mistress of my domain

One of my domain registrations expires soon, and I am debating whether to renew it with Network Solutions (probably the most expensive, but I've always used them) or with one of the cheaper purveyors of domain registrations.

Does it really make much difference? AFAIK, the cheaper company I am considering also offers private registration (so my contact information doesn't show up in Whois), which I now have through Network Solutions and is essential.

mxh
marlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 07:24 PM   #2
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlene
One of my domain registrations expires soon, and I am debating whether to renew it with Network Solutions (probably the most expensive, but I've always used them) or with one of the cheaper purveyors of domain registrations.

Does it really make much difference? AFAIK, the cheaper company I am considering also offers private registration (so my contact information doesn't show up in Whois), which I now have through Network Solutions and is essential.
I'v got a couple registered with GoDaddy, and am happy with their service so far.

Old 06-03-2005, 11:41 PM   #3
marlene
Staff

Do you have private registrations?

mxh
Old 06-04-2005, 02:15 AM   #4
Anne Wright

Marlene, I've registered several domain names through GoDaddy with no problems. Some are private reigstration and there has been no problem with that feature, either.
Anne
Anne Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 06:12 AM   #5
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlene

I registered a domain with GoDaddy about 5 months ago. When two others came up for renewal last month, I transferred them to GoDaddy as well. I haven’t opted for privacy, but it is available (for a fee).

I also have two domains registered with MyHosting.com (affiliated with softcomca.com). They have more complicated procedures for changing DNS and otherwise interacting with the domains, but they too are reliable. Cost more, however; if I were not so lazy (and slightly disinclined to put all my eggs in one basket, but only slightly), I’d probably move those to Go
Daddy as well, which makes the process very easy.

Old 06-04-2005, 02:28 PM   #6
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc
I'v got a couple registered with GoDaddy, and am happy with their service so far.
Yes, they do, but as others have said here, they do charge more for private registration.

Old 06-09-2005, 10:00 PM   #7
marlene
Staff

Thanks for all the pro-GoDaddy responses. I decided to just go with the company that AlienCreed (my web/e-mail host) uses. They'll take care of switching it over, and I can still have my private registration.

I think Terrie was asking about private registration -- that means your contact information (name, address, phone, e-mail address) are not shown publicly in Whois. People can contact you through the company (e.g., Network Solutions), which forwards the messages to you.

Otherwise, spammers and other unsavory organisms can harvest your information from Whois and send you lots of unwanted messages.

mxh
Old 06-10-2005, 12:00 PM   #8
terrie
Staff

>>marlene: private registration -- that means your contact information (name, address, phone, e-mail address) are not shown publicly in Whois. People can contact you through the company (e.g., Network Solutions), which forwards the messages to you.

Thanks...I thought that's what that meant...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 03:52 PM   #9
Daudio

Quote:
private registration... Otherwise, spammers and other unsavory organisms can harvest your information from Whois and send you lots of unwanted messages.
I've been registered with GoDaddy (not private) for a long time now, and I don't recall any spam on my domain, so I wonder if it's worth the extra cost ?

Dave
daveayers.com
Daudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 12:18 PM   #10
dthomsen8

Default Private Domain Name Registrations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daudio
I've been registered with GoDaddy (not private) for a long time now, and I don't recall any spam on my domain, so I wonder if it's worth the extra cost ?

Dave
daveayers.com

Sometimes people want to have a web site which is private in the sense that others cannot tell very easily who is producing the web. This may be for partisan or non-partisan political reasons, or for advocacy of unpopular religious or cultural or political views. SPAM may not be the concern at all.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote