DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Design

Old 01-16-2013, 09:36 AM   #1
mandandy

Default japanese/asian design

Hey guys, bit of random request, but does anyone know of good books or other resources for japanese or asian graphic design? been trying to google but cant find anything with good reviews... looking for print design from the past 50 or so, or anythign really.

thanks in advance!
mandandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:03 PM   #2
terrie
Staff

What sort of search terms are you using?

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:46 PM   #3
Andrew B.
Staff

Can you narrow it down a bit. Are you trying to do a job for someone in Asia? Do you just want to get a general idea of Asian design? I'm finding stuff on Google, most of it is examples. OTOH, if you want to talk with graphic designers in Asia, there are some here: http://www.graphicdesignforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=24349. I don't recall if we have anyone here to works with Asian clients.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:43 AM   #4
mandandy

Thanks guys, actually I was just looking fo myself, for inspiration in a personal project. Sorry that was a bit vague of me :P

But something like this one on amazon: Japanese Graphic Design [Hardcover]

And so I was just wondering if anyone knew of good books...? For example theres only one review of that book on amazon :/
mandandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:34 PM   #5
terrie
Staff

Quote:
mandandy: For example theres only one review of that book on amazon :/
Yeah but it's a fairly comprehensive review--so much so that I'm going to look and see if I might be able to find it here in the States...'-}}

What other search terms did you use? If you were searching using "graphics", you might broaden it using "art"--as in "japanese art", "japanese art and design", "asian design principles", "japanese design principles", "japanese design theory", etc.

I did a search using 'graphic design' + japan and found a wikipedia article on the history of graphic design which if you scroll down, you'll see a section on poster design in Japan with 2 footnotes, one to a website on Japanese Posters and one for a book: Richard S. Thornton, "Japanese Posters: The First 100 Years", Design Issues, Vol. 6, No. 1, Design in Asia and Australia (Autumn, 1989), pp. 4-14, Published by: The MIT Press

Then I added +book to the search and found the book Japanese Graphics Now--this is amazon US link but you should be able to find it in the UK too. I also found a web page discussing Japanes book design that might prove useful and another on Japanese photo and design that looks interesting and a book on Japanese graphic design between the wars--this from abebooks.com

Hope that helps...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:30 PM   #6
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

http://www.gmixer.com/archives/45

This looks more like a magazine about design published in Japan than one about Japanese design per se, but it might be worth looking up:

http://www.axisinc.co.jp/english/magazine/vol/161.html

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote