DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > General Publishing Topics

Old 12-25-2012, 10:12 AM   #1
Andrew B.
Staff

Default A different take on Windows 8

I found this writer's perspective interesting. His basic point is that Microsoft botched the PR for Windows 8. What it really is is an improved Windows 7 with valuable business features added. There is no new desktop, there is a dashboard for gadgets that also had the ability to launch desktop applications. And Microsoft's mistake was by playing up the touch aspects when 99.9% of it's users are on PCs.

http://redmondmag.com/blogs/it-decis...sing-info.aspx

What would have sold me is if MS had touted the PC features and presented "metro" as a great bonus that allows one to work in touch mode. Of course, they would need a control panel to turn charms, hot corners/sides, and start menu on and off. And when sold on PCs, the default would be menu on, charms and hot spots off. The other two modes would be touch mode (charms and hots on, menu off) and hybrid mode (charms on, menu on, spots off). Also, charms and spots would always be on in metro screen, just not desktop. And on the start menu would have the ability to launch metro, and a folder containing the individual metro apps.

Old 12-25-2012, 11:01 AM   #2
Hugh Wyn Griffith

I read in one blog that MS forced the "Metro" interface up front because that was the only way they could be sure to get feedback from a larger and more valid set of users than prior to RTM ....

It was suggested that eventually system managers doing group installs will be able to issue the version that they want .....

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:11 AM   #3
Andrew B.
Staff

That doesn't really help the places that don't have system managers. IMO, what MS should do is push an update to users that provides controls as I described them. Set up a category interface in Control Panel. The start menu is still there, as are the controls for hot corners. All they have to do is put it into the control panel.

Old 01-05-2013, 11:07 AM   #4
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B. View Post
That doesn't really help the places that don't have system managers. IMO, what MS should do is push an update to users that provides controls as I described them. Set up a category interface in Control Panel. The start menu is still there, as are the controls for hot corners. All they have to do is put it into the control panel.
That, or allow system vendors to offer buyers more options. The big customers buy hundreds/thousands of identical systems at once and have IT staffs to set up, test and maintain disk images to use in setting up each system they send out to users.

For smaller customers who buy computers as needed, this simply isn't realistic; the Dell or Lenovo box you bought a couple of last year may not be enough like the almost-the-same-but-not-exactly one you can buy today, so the disk image you made last year won't work for the new PCs.

But if Dell/Lenovo/Et/Al were able to offer PCs with Win8 + the UI of your choice, it'd make for a lot simpler purchasing decision.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:30 PM   #5
Andrew B.
Staff

It would have been easy enough for MS to have the menu turned on in the Pro version, off in the consumer version, and provide controls to change this. Then when companies order from Dell or whatever, they just specify the pro version. Then all their workers are up and running on day 1, and no matter which office they go to the computers work in a familiar way.

Old 01-05-2013, 02:40 PM   #6
Hugh Wyn Griffith

I didn't say it was true .....

Hugh
Old 01-05-2013, 02:48 PM   #7
Hugh Wyn Griffith

The thing is that I find it just as easy to use Windows 8 with a mouse as it might be if I had a touchscreen (judged by very limited experience with a smartphone used on WiFi).

With Windows 7 I rarely use any of the links to programs provided by the menu structure but I find the START / Search invaluable since I usually know what I want to do rather then where the utility or control setting is to achieve it.

Windows 8 extends the search function right onto the StartScreen where you can start typing and the system starts to search as you develop your string.

My wife's desktop on Windows 7 could easily be the StartScreen from the point of view of desktop shortcut icons being replaced by StartScreen Tilesl which are larger and more visually identifiable.

And the moment one clicks on a tile for a true Windows Application (not an app although I don't think I have any RT apps) one is working from a standard Windows 7 type desktop .... without the gadgets unfortunately but that's Microsoft's decision on security grounds since they could too easily be hacked.

Hugh
Old 01-06-2013, 08:40 PM   #8
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Amen, brother.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote