DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Design

Old 05-31-2005, 02:33 PM   #1
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea
Default Getting rid of Word's blue links

Does anyone know how to get rid of the ugly blue www and e-mail links in Word documents after they've been imported into InDesign?

At the moment, I'm painstakingly copying them singly into a bland BBEdit document and then copying them back into the InDesign but it's a slow process for some of the articles I'm working with.

Normally, I'd drop the entire articles into BBEdit before placing them in InDesign, but these have quite a lot of italics distributed through them, and I'd lose that. It's easier to find and fix the blue links after importing them into InDesign than the italics.

Hmm, maybe there's a way to fix them in Word before I import...

Old 05-31-2005, 02:50 PM   #2
terrie
Staff

Not sure about Word but in WordPerfect, there's a pref you can set to turn the links off...might be worth browsing around in prefs to see if you can find it...

Alternatively, copy/paste the text into something like WordPad or Notepad and that should turn the links off...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 02:53 PM   #3
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Ann,

Off top of head, it looks as though you could modify the Hyperlink style in Word to match the surrounding normal text style and inherit thereby an uncle name of Bob.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 02:58 PM   #4
Susie

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie
Not sure about Word but in WordPerfect, there's a pref you can set to turn the links off...might be worth browsing around in prefs to see if you can find it...
Where is this preference. I sure wish I had known about it a lot sooner!

Susie

Old 05-31-2005, 03:18 PM   #5
terrie
Staff

>>susie: Where is this preference. I sure wish I had known about it a lot sooner!

Try Tools > Settings > Environment > General tab > UNcheck "activate hyperlinks on open" and see also Tools > Hyperlink (I've got the general tab thingie Unchecked so I'm not sure how global Tools > Hyperlink would be if "activate hyperlinks" option were checkedmarked and then unchecked.)

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 04:41 PM   #6
Michael Rowley

Ann:

get rid of the ugly blue www and e-mail links in Word documents

It's not clear (to me, at any rate) what you want to do: remove the links, or just make them prettier. Perhaps the remedy is the same in either case: 'Kill' the link in Word, & then do what you like with it, e.g. delete it, make it a prettier colour, etc.

I've forgotten where 'kill hyperlink' is found, i.e. which menu owns it, but if you scoll through 'all commands' you'll find it.

Old 05-31-2005, 05:02 PM   #7
Shane Stanley
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc
Does anyone know how to get rid of the ugly blue www and e-mail links in Word documents after they've been imported into InDesign?
It's a bit fiddly. You need to make a new character style that does nothing, apply it to the text that has Word's Hyperlink style applied, then delete both character styles. You should also preferably delete the hyperlinks, and for good measure any info related to them that ID leaves lying around.

IOW:

tell application "InDesign CS"
tell document 1
-- get reference to Hyperlink style
if exists character style "Hyperlink" then
set theBad to character style "Hyperlink"
-- make character style that does nothing
if exists character style "Do nothing" then
set theGood to character style "Do nothing"
else
set theGood to make character style with properties {name:"Do nothing"}
end if
-- set applied char style to new style
set applied character style of every text style range of every story whose applied character style is theBad to theGood
-- delete old styles
delete theBad
delete theGood

-- and if you're not using hyperlinks...
delete every hyperlink
try -- sometimes ID leaves these hanging around
delete every hyperlink text source
end try
try -- sometimes ID leaves these hanging around
delete every hyperlink URL destination
end try

end if
end tell
end tell

Shane
Shane Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 05:11 PM   #8
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
In Word, in my experience, that doesn't change existing text. :-(

Quote:
Alternatively, copy/paste the text into something like WordPad or Notepad and that should turn the links off...
That's what I'm doing now with each occurrence, but as I mentioned, I don't want to do it with the entire document because of all the italics.

Old 05-31-2005, 06:39 PM   #9
annc
Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg
Ann,

Off top of head, it looks as though you could modify the Hyperlink style in Word to match the surrounding normal text style and inherit thereby an uncle name of Bob.
Thanks, Steve. I'll give that a try. Some of these documents don't have any styles, but I can easily create one specially in each document if necessary.

Old 05-31-2005, 06:58 PM   #10
annc
Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rowley
Ann:

get rid of the ugly blue www and e-mail links in Word documents

It's not clear (to me, at any rate) what you want to do: remove the links, or just make them prettier. Perhaps the remedy is the same in either case: 'Kill' the link in Word, & then do what you like with it, e.g. delete it, make it a prettier colour, etc.

I've forgotten where 'kill hyperlink' is found, i.e. which menu owns it, but if you scoll through 'all commands' you'll find it.
What I want to do is get rid of the ugly blue, underlined formatting that is resisting being changed to my InDesign paragraph style, Michael. This is for a print publication, which will contain the text of the links, but (obviously) no actual links. So I want the text of the links to be the same as the text around them.

Each paper will later be published separately as an Acrobat file, but I can put the links back in in Acrobat.

I'll have a look for that menu item in Word. It's probably in a different place in the Mac version anyway.