DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Design

Old 10-27-2012, 11:14 AM   #11
Franca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg View Post
Yeah, it used to give that "I beat it!" feeling when you solved these things. Nowadays it's more "Oh lord, do we have to go through THIS again?"
Exactly.

Quote:
But for me the upgrade to X5 was worth it if only for the improvement in AI imports over 12.
AI import capability has been the #1 reason for me to upgrade Draw all along. Well, other than OS incompatibility, obviously. I remember being excited by a few of the new goodies when version 9 came out but for the most part I haven't needed anything more than Draw 4 was able to do.

Franca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:27 PM   #12
terrie
Staff

Quote:
franca: Hope you're right! Cautiously optimistic.
Let me know how it goes...I've never used a Canon printer so I don't know anything about their drivers...

I just got my Epson 2450 flatbed scanner installed. There are no Win7/64bit drivers for it but after rooting around onlline I found someone who outlined what he'd done for his 2450 where he basically used the Epson 4990 drivers. That sent me back to look at what Epson might have for other scanners and I found that the 3170 had Win7/64bit drivers. When I started the install, it listed the Epson 2400 so I backed out of the install to go and look at the 2400 specs. As near as I can tell the only difference between the 2400 and the 2450 was that the 2450 had firewire so I decided to install the 2400 option since it's closer to the 2450 specs than either the 3170 or the 4990.

Then I plugged in and turned on my 2450, no drivers are found, you go to Control Panel > Device Manager, right-click the 2450, choose "Update Driver", choose "Browse...", choose "Let me pick..." and from the Epson list, I chose the 2400 driver and that does the trick.

The coolest thing is that I got the Copier function which was originally part of a set of little utilities on the original 2450 CD--I only ever used the copier function. I copied the Copier folder from my old system to my new and it works just fine. I decided to see if it would work without setting compatibility mode and it does although I do have it set to "run as admin"--I've set every shortcut on my desktop to do that even though I'm an admin user.

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:14 PM   #13
Franca
Staff

That's quite impressive that you got your scanner installed. If you look up older scanners, copiers and fax machines online to see if they are compatible with Win 7 the answer is almost universally a resounding, "No!" I wonder if I might have been able to make my beloved HP ScanJet 4C work ... but I seriously doubt it. I think HP drivers are less reliable in Win 7 than Epson's, plus the ScanJet 4C is really, really old. Pretty sure I've had it since Win98 or perhaps even longer. I had to use a kind of funky, very basic driver for XP but it scanned just fine. Since I had two very ancient scanners - the HP flatbed and an old Nikon slide/neg scanner - I decided to buy one new scanner that would scan everything and be guaranteed to work with Win 7. It was unbelievably inexpensive compared to what scanners cost back when I bought the other two. It's all unpacked but installation hasn't moved to the top of the To-Do list yet.

Franca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:30 AM   #14
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Draw 5 for me, but ... yeah.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:25 PM   #15
terrie
Staff

Quote:
franca: That's quite impressive that you got your scanner installed.
I was pleased...had a small difficultly later in the evening when I tried to use it and the copier wouldn't work and then realized I'd installed Vuescan after I'd installed the Epson scanner drivers. I had just opened Vuescan to make sure the install was ok and apparently, since the 2450 is the only scanner installed (I usually use Vuescan with my slide scanner but haven't installed it yet), Vuescan thought it should set itself as the 2450 driver--Vuescan has it's own 2450 driver. It just took me a second or two to change the driver back to Epson's and all was well.

>> It was unbelievably inexpensive compared to what scanners cost back when I bought the other two. It's all unpacked but installation hasn't moved to the top of the To-Do list yet.

LOL! I know that feeling! Scanner prices have come way down. I can't remember exactly what I paid for my first scanner--a Umax (???)--but I think it might have been $600-$800??? At any rate, A LOT OF MONEY...'-}}

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote