DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-22-2012, 02:23 PM   #1
terrie
Staff

Default Windows 7 & Printing...not fun...

So...I moved my new system to my desk and my old system to my work table yesterday so I could now install my HP2200D printer on the new system...

This has not been a fun experience between Windows 7 insisting!!! on installing the PCL 5 version of the printer after I deleted that printer instance after installing the Universal PCL 6 printer and the Universal Postscript printer. It deleted ok but when I turned the printer on, Windows 7 installed the PCL5 version again and again and again until I finally gave up and let it stay...

I can live with the stupid extra instance but what is driving me totally around the bend is the fact that none of the printer instances will allow me to print on any custom paper size I defined. I remember--vaguely--runing into this with WinXP and discovered that I had to define the custom paper sizes within each individual printer instance and once I did that, then in WordPerfect, I'd define the custom paper size referencing the printer's custom paper name and everybody was happy, particularly me.

This process does not work in Windows 7. I can define a custom paper size in a printer instance, create the custom paper size in WordPerfect linking to the printer instance custom paper size but when I try and print nothing prints on my custom paper and I get an error page printed out with "illegal media size"--I'm using the appropriate Win 7/64 bit drivers and tried installing the WinXP drivers and Win7 wouldn't let me.

I can't find anything online except for people in the same boat--using various word processing software. It is driving me crazy!!!

Anyone have a suggestion about how to do this?

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote