DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 04-18-2012, 02:38 PM   #1
ParsonsWV

Default Ad scheduling/invoicing software

Hi! I'm a contract worker for a rural weekly publication. I'm in serious need for a reasonably-priced software to help manage ad list for sales and invoice. Currently only have a hokey spreadsheet I set up for ad list and independent manual invoice creation program. Doing everything manually was not a big deal when started and only had a few ads but now, as sales have grown, major time-stealer dealing with paperwork updates every sale manually each week. Any input greatly appreciated!!!
ParsonsWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:08 PM   #2
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Might help to know what operating system you are using ... Windows?

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:40 PM   #3
ParsonsWV

Sorry... Mac OS but would be willing to purchase a Windows laptop just for this purpose if need be.
ParsonsWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:14 AM   #4
Hugh Wyn Griffith

OK -- I can't help you myself on this topic but there are plenty of others here ....

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:34 PM   #5
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParsonsWV View Post
Sorry... Mac OS but would be willing to purchase a Windows laptop just for this purpose if need be.
One of our long-term sysops works in a similar situation using Macs. She doesn't come in very often these days, so I'm contacting her to see if she can make time to drop in and help if possible.

So don't go away!

Old 04-20-2012, 09:36 AM   #6
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

I work for the publisher of two rural weeklies, but I don't know of software to do what you ask. It might be out there and I'm guessing there's something based on Filemaker, but don't really know.

The week's ads are written on paper ad schedules with columns for noting which paper, color or BW, size, advertiser name, page on which the ad gets placed, price, etc. At the end of the month the business manger bills off those paper schedules and any sales spreadsheets I've created for selling special pages or sections. As I understand it, all accounting has shifted to an online business product from Quicken.

We are totally Mac based, having finally chucked the lone Windows box that used to be needed to run USPS mailing/labeling software. Now our print vendor handles all that for us.

If you're in the USA, I'd inquire of your state's newspaper association. Sorry I can't be of more help!

Old 10-03-2012, 01:00 PM   #7
Matt Dierlam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElyseC View Post
I work for the publisher of two rural weeklies, but I don't know of software to do what you ask. It might be out there and I'm guessing there's something based on Filemaker, but don't really know.

The week's ads are written on paper ad schedules with columns for noting which paper, color or BW, size, advertiser name, page on which the ad gets placed, price, etc. At the end of the month the business manger bills off those paper schedules and any sales spreadsheets I've created for selling special pages or sections. As I understand it, all accounting has shifted to an online business product from Quicken.

We are totally Mac based, having finally chucked the lone Windows box that used to be needed to run USPS mailing/labeling software. Now our print vendor handles all that for us.

If you're in the USA, I'd inquire of your state's newspaper association. Sorry I can't be of more help!
Did you find anything for ad scheduling software; I'm in the same boat
Matt Dierlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:01 PM   #8
Matt Dierlam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParsonsWV View Post
Hi! I'm a contract worker for a rural weekly publication. I'm in serious need for a reasonably-priced software to help manage ad list for sales and invoice. Currently only have a hokey spreadsheet I set up for ad list and independent manual invoice creation program. Doing everything manually was not a big deal when started and only had a few ads but now, as sales have grown, major time-stealer dealing with paperwork updates every sale manually each week. Any input greatly appreciated!!!
Did you find any software solutions yet?
Matt Dierlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:07 PM   #9
curveto

Location: some room with white padded walls ... now surrounded by Saguaro Cacti

Here's FileMaker's solutions landing page...

http://www.filemaker.com/solutions/index.html
curveto is offline   Reply With Quote