DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Design

Old 09-13-2012, 05:58 AM   #1
rogue

Default Automated generation of encrypted PDFs-files on layover

Hello,

I have a question about automated generation of PDFs-files. I´m a total DTP noob.

I have
(1) a text-file with 400 letters with some layout codes (determining the position of the text lines), which I will probably transform into a text-file (where the text is placed right).

(2) A PDF-file with a layover - a formular that should be the background of the PDF-files.

(3) A list of passwords for each letter.

I need to output 400 encrypted PDF-files build on the layover plus text from the text-file.

I will need to repeat this process every week.

What is the easiest way to do that? Is there a program that can do it.

All help appreciated.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:56 AM   #2
LoisWakeman
Staff

I am not sure I am qualified to help much, but this sounds like a job for a mail merge followed by conversion to PDF afterwards?

MS Word can do what you call a layover and I'd call a watermark, and its mail merge is reasonably sophisticated, though I am not sure about the password aspect.
In fact, I don't think I really understand about the text file either - when you say layout code, are you talking about converting that to Postscript for positioning?
LoisWakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:51 PM   #3
krogholt

This is a tricky one. I agree with Lois that mail merge seems to be the solution. But do you only have one text file with 400 letters in it? If that's the case you need to split it up in 400 files with placeholders wherein the text is to be inserted. Then there is the "overlay". I know of a good desktop publishing application Serif PagePlus where the pages can contain more layers (like if you lay sheets of plastic with print on on top of each other so that the underlying text is visible). Now you have to mail merge the 400 files and 400 text snippets into pdf documents which saves them as 400 individual files. As to the question of encryption I do not know for sure how it works, because I do not have the latest version, PagePlus X6. But I guess that you may encrypt with just one password for all of the files. But ask Serif before you decide. http://serif.com
For more general info on PagePlus, read my review of it: Review of PagePlus X4.

Last edited by krogholt; 09-19-2012 at 01:46 AM. Reason: I gave some incorrect information
krogholt is offline   Reply With Quote