DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-27-2012, 04:51 PM   #11
terrie
Staff

Quote:
hugh: That used to be the in thing but things have changed baby ....
ROFL!!!

>>Windows 7 does a number of things in its own way, has its own default places for stuff and you can be asking for trouble if you try to force previous configurations on it.

I like my software and data organized my way and Win7 will just have to deal with it. It's a question of being able to use my software and data in a way that I find works for me. I'm sure there will be adjustments for the way Win7 (in its infinitely designed wisdom...'-}) likes to do things but I'll figure it out--all the reading I've done so far indicates that for software that allows custom installs, Win 7 has no problem finding and excuting software outside of Program Files. One reason for installing software someplace other than main drive (c:\) based Program Files is if I decided to get an SSD as the larger size drives are still too pricey so controlling the main drive size is important...

Thanks for the link to the forum...I've been planning a visit to browse around and ask questions...

>>You can certainly run XP inside and I think Ultimate even includes a copy but I'm not sure about that. However I'm not certain about 16 bit programs in there -- you might have to multiboot and use XP or earlier.

Both Win 7 Pro and Win 7 Ultimate allow for/contain XP Mode. Currently, I don't have a problem running 16bit software in WinXP and from the bit of browsing around I've done, generally, they work ok in XP mode (either the Pro/Ultimate XP mode or via other VM's)...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote