DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-01-2012, 06:51 PM   #14
terrie
Staff

Quote:
ann: Yes, I think so, which would also cause the slowness.
Thanks for the confirmation...her husband double checked some stuff and discovered a problem or two that he's fixed and they are waiting to see how it goes.

In the meantime, she told me that they have a router that they hadn't been using --save me from not even moderately gifted bozos...'-}}--so I have now outlined a series of steps for them to take to get the router in the mix if whatever changes the husband has made do not do the trick...

>>Note that the white box is a Time Capsule, or maybe even an Airport Extreme. They look alike. The Mac backup software is called Time Machine and does not require an Airport Extreme or Time Capsule to back up onto.

Thanks for the correct terminology--I knew about Airport and Time Capsule (that's newer isn't it because Airport has been available for a while?)--but she talked about "Time Machine" working wirelessly so I figure that there is separate hardware there--it took me a bit to realize that TM was the software not the hardware.

At any rate, given that the hardware is working wirelessly and that they bought it in 2009, I figure it would it be a Time Capsule? Does that seem reasonable?

>>The firmware upgrades do not come as part of the usual software update. The light on the Time Capsule/Airport Extreme will blink amber when a firmware upgrade is available. Then the procedure in the KB article I linked to yesterday needs to be followed.

Ahhh! Thanks...I'll mention that to her...

I'll keep you posted...

Thanks!

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote