DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Design

Old 02-02-2005, 03:09 PM   #1
Franca
Staff

Default Feedback Request - Possible Zazzle T-Shirt Job

My husband's slot car racing team is going to the "nationals" later this month and he asked me to do a design for a team T-shirt. I am uploading a little proof here. He is taking the design and the Zazzle price list to the team on Sunday to see if they like the design and if they are interested in buying the shirts if we get them made.

I know that Kathleen has used Zazzle. I'd like to know if anyone sees any potential problem with the design from a practical or artistic POV. Critique away - it was a bit of a rush job and I'm not the least bit sensitive about it.

For those not up on Calif. geography, the team members are from both sides of the Golden Gate Bridge and the rainbow comes from the rainbow that has been painted around the tunnel entrance to Marin County since (I think) the '60s. It may be anecdotal but I seem to recall hearing that at one time San Francisco wanted a rainbow painted on the side facing SF as well, but since the tunnel resides entirely in Marin County the idea was not approved. Kind of a little dig at the foggy side of the bay. ;-)

Oh - and the "nationals" is called "The Fray".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TShirt.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	11  

Last edited by Franca; 02-02-2005 at 04:15 PM.
Franca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 03:12 PM   #2
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franca
My husband's slot car racing team is going to the "nationals" later this month and he asked me to do a design for a team T-shirt. I am uploading a little proof here. He is taking the design and the Zazzle price list to the team on Sunday to see if they like the design and if they are interested in buying the shirts if we get them made.

I know that Kathleen has used Zazzle. I'd like to know if anyone sees any potential problem with the design from a practical or artistic POV. Critique away - it was a bit of a rush job and I'm not the least bit sensitive about it.

For those not up on Calif. geography, the team members are from both sides of the Golden Gate Bridge and the rainbow comes from the rainbow that has been painted around the tunnel entrance to Marin County since (I think) the '60s. It may be anecdotal but I seem to recall hearing that at one time San Francisco wanted a rainbow painted on the side facing SF as well, but since the tunnel resides entirely in Marin County the idea was not approved. Kind of a little dig at the foggy side of the bay. ;-)

Great graphic, Franca.

Old 02-02-2005, 03:14 PM   #3
Franca
Staff

My goodness, that was quick. ;-) Thank you! I hope the team likes it.

Old 02-02-2005, 05:09 PM   #4
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:

Shall I niggle at you about the typography? If not, I won’t.

So long as you can make a jpeg that is 12X14 inches (or the equivalent they specify in pixels), they will put it on a t-shirt. (Or 14x12 inches.)

The only slight annoyance I had is where they put it: a bit low. No biggie for men, but for women, the bulk of the image may fall in the shadow of their boobs.

Otherwise, it was very well done, and fast.

Old 02-02-2005, 06:33 PM   #5
Franca
Staff

Quote:
Shall I niggle at you about the typography? If not, I won’t.
Please go right ahead! If I can do something about it within the time and money constraints I will. If not, I won't. ;-) Er, "money constraints" being that I'm not getting paid for my efforts. Which is fine, but means I can pick and choose what I care to be compulsive about as long as the team won't notice one way or the other. *I* care about typography, and since I hope to at least get a shirt out of this I'd like it to look good. However, I'm fairly certain most of the team members don't know an inch mark from an apostrophe!

Old 02-02-2005, 06:47 PM   #6
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Please go right ahead! If I can do something about it within the time and money constraints I will. If not, I won't. ;-) Er, "money constraints" being that I'm not getting paid for my efforts. Which is fine, but means I can pick and choose what I care to be compulsive about as long as the team won't notice one way or the other. *I* care about typography, and since I hope to at least get a shirt out of this I'd like it to look good. However, I'm fairly certain most of the team members don't know an inch mark from an apostrophe!
It will be a cool shirt, no matter what!

But: the word spaces in the rainbow type above the bridge are too wide. This is exacerbated by the shifts in color; maybe squitch them together a bit. Perhaps try roman (instead of italic) or a condensed face to see if the letters lay out more gracefully. (And I would like to see the arc of the letters parallel that of the rainbow. I see you have a width problem, but maybe there is room to make the disparity less glaring.)

The type KO’d from the black at the bottom should be clearly different from the arc’d type above: different face, different size, U/lc, not italicized — something.

Anyway, no matter what, it will make a good shirt. (I love the bridge!)

Old 02-02-2005, 10:34 PM   #7
Franca
Staff

Thanks, Kathleen! I'll see what I can do.

Old 02-03-2005, 12:22 AM   #8
Franca
Staff

OK, I'm uploading a revised version. I had some trouble choosing the type for the bottom. I wanted something that would complement the bridge better than the previous fonts I tried, but I don't know how successful I was. If it's horrid I'll accept all suggestions - my eyes are glazing over and I'm losing the ability to discriminate. ( *>*)

Oh - and do you like it better with the original plain white "sky" (so the overall design isn't a rectangle) or do you like the blue sky in the latest version?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TShirt-R1.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	12  

Old 02-03-2005, 07:03 AM   #9
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Quote:
Oh - and do you like it better with the original plain white "sky" (so the overall design isn't a rectangle) or do you like the blue sky in the latest version?
Hm...could it be my monitor? I don't see a blue sky, only white like the first one.

Old 02-03-2005, 08:10 AM   #10
Franca
Staff

It's a very pale blue. Just enough to take the starkness out and make it look more "finished". But perhaps I made it just a bit too pale!