DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 06-30-2012, 12:18 PM   #1
Andrew B.
Staff

Default Need Download Manager (Win)

I have already read reviews on the Internet, but can't seem to make up my mind. So I'm asking for recommendation for a download manager. I'd like it to be able to do the following:

1. Integrate with Opera running on Win7. When I'm in Opera and click on a download link, I would like it to sense this and swing into action but not get in my way. Because I might want to click on a few more links in Opera while the download is going on.

2. I can exit Opera and the downloads are still going.

3. I can stop and resume.

4. If I click on more than a few files, it will queue these and wait until the first few are done.

I'm not looking for a site ripper. My problem is I exit Opera while downloads are going, and then I have no way to resume these. Also, I want to limit how many connections I make at once, to save bandwidth. So that's why I like the queue idea.

Old 07-01-2012, 10:42 AM   #2
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

In case it helps, Opera allows you to set a limit on the number of connections:
Ctrl+F12 | Advanced tab | click Network on the left

While on the Advanced tab, click Browsing and put a check next to Confirm Exit ... then when you quit the browser advertently or in-, it'll ask you whether you're sure you wanna do that.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:42 PM   #3
Andrew B.
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg View Post
In case it helps, Opera allows you to set a limit on the number of connections:
Ctrl+F12 | Advanced tab | click Network on the left

While on the Advanced tab, click Browsing and put a check next to Confirm Exit ... then when you quit the browser advertently or in-, it'll ask you whether you're sure you wanna do that.
I'll try adjusting the number of connections. As for the Confirm Exit, because it warns me every time, I sometimes click OK without thinking.

When I was using Netscape I didn't have this problem. If I exited, it did not stop the download. It gave me a small screen to control it.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:57 AM   #4
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

You'd think it'd be apparent that you'd never want to cut off a d/l in progress.

Then again, you'd think it'd be apparent that the user wouldn't want links from other documents to fail just because the idiot browser wanted an update confirmation, but that seems not to have penetrated the OperaMind.

I like Opera but lately would like to be able to like it as much as I used to. It's gotten annoying. Mostly I use Chrome. It doesn't annoy.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 07-02-2012, 11:11 AM   #5
iamback

Chrome annoys me heaps more than Opera ever did. I only tolerate it to test with - just barely.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:59 PM   #6
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback View Post
Chrome annoys me heaps more than Opera ever did. I only tolerate it to test with - just barely.
<curious>What does it do to annoy you?</curious>

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 07-03-2012, 07:01 AM   #7
iamback

First, it doesn't behave like a proper Windows citizen (Opera is bad in that respect, too - only in different ways). Second, it wants up update automatically (I only allow anti-virus software and my firewall to do that). Third, 'the simple browser' if far too simple for me: not nearly enough configurability or extensions compared to Firefox. I do not need a 'simple' browser or even a 'fast' browser - I need a *powerful* browser.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:15 PM   #8
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>> First, it doesn't behave like a proper Windows citizen

In what sense?

>> Second, it wants up update automatically (I only allow anti-virus software and my firewall to do that).

There is that, yes. Whereas Opera makes your life miserable if you try to control whether or not it updates. It never used to do that. I used to like it a lot more.

>> Third, 'the simple browser' if far too simple for me: not nearly enough configurability or extensions compared to Firefox. I do not need a 'simple' browser or even a 'fast' browser - I need a *powerful* browser.

Ah. Different strokes then. It does pretty much what I need it to. Or I use another browser; I'm used to having to do that. MS' various sites seem to have a weird "Hate of the month club" thing going on. Other than MSIE, one browser will work ok, another will be semi-crippled and another won't even log in. Then they'll switch places. Maddening. But not the browser's fault, I don't imagine.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 07-04-2012, 10:49 PM   #9
iamback

Quote:
>> First, it doesn't behave like a proper Windows citizen

In what sense?
For starters, it won't allow you to install it where you want to install it - for me that's a reason for immediate uninstallation, so that's what I did. Then a few months later I found I actually needed it for testing while I'm working on my SmugMug site, so it's now (barely) tolerated until that's finished - I don't want or like it enough to move it where I want it and hack the registry.

Second, its lack of a proper status bar - I find it extremely annoying to have status information obscuring content (and sometimes make that content unreachable). Firefox copied this idiocy, but there at least I can install an extension to repair it: such a relief!

And third, it does not respect my Windows theme at all and insists on a matching-nothing-at-all hideous blue chrome. Which in itself distracts from the content!

The last two points amount to constant irritation while using it, so even for testing I use it as little as possible...

Old 07-05-2012, 10:50 AM   #10
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>> For starters, it won't allow you to install it where you want to install it - for me that's a reason for immediate uninstallation,

PersonallyFor starters, it won't allow you to install it where you want to install it - for me that's a reason for immediate uninstallation, so that's what I did. Then a few months later I found I actually needed it for testing while I'm working on my SmugMug site, so it's now (barely) tolerated until that's finished - I don't want or like it enough to move it where I want it and hack the registry.

Second, its lack of a proper status bar - I find it extremely annoying to have status information obscuring content (and sometimes make that content unreachable). Firefox copied this idiocy, but there at least I can install an extension to repair it: such a relief!

And third, it does not respect my Windows theme at all and insists on a matching-nothing-at-all hideous blue chrome. Which in itself distracts from the content!

The last two points amount to constant irritation while using it, so even for testing I use it as little as possible...

On a personal level, I understand that completely. But as a developer who has to create installers that are reasonably bulletproof for users of all skill levels (most of them not technically adept), I no longer give users the option of installing my add-ins wherever they like. They're as likely as not to choose someplace where they don't have read/write permissions, whereupon it all gets ugly for them. I force the installation into a knows-safe location. I've also written simple instructions that will allow them to install move the software wherever they'd like to put it. That seems to have satisfied the three users who've commented on the lack of choice since I implemented four or so years ago.

Honestly? I hated the idea, but at least for my audience, it seems to have been the right choice.

>> Second, its lack of a proper status bar - I find it extremely annoying to have status information obscuring content (and sometimes make that content unreachable).

I see what you mean ... the status bar that behaves like the stupid Windows task bar (though not nearly so obnoxious or erratic). I can see where that might bother you; can't say that it's struck me as bothersome though, probably because the only time I look at the status bar is when I want to see a link source and am already deliberately hovering over a link.

>> And third, it does not respect my Windows theme at all and insists on a matching-nothing-at-all hideous blue chrome.

Odd again. It's a very tame gray here.

www.pptools.com
and stuff