DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > General Publishing Topics

Old 05-31-2012, 02:06 PM   #1
Andrew B.
Staff

Default Domain Registration Hacked

mybb.com (the website for mybb free forum software) was a target of hackers who managed to hack into namescheap where the domain is registered, and point their URL to a different site. I guess I'll stay away from namescheap as a registrar. Right now they are doing a review to see if the hackers managed to affect site itself. So it's still off line

Last edited by Andrew B.; 06-02-2012 at 08:29 AM.
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:36 PM   #2
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B. View Post
mybb.com (the website for mybb free forum software) was a target of hackers who managed to hack into namescheap where the domain is registered, and point their URL to a different site. I guess I'll stay away from namescheap as a registrar. Right now they are doing a review to see if the hackers managed to affect site itself. So it's still off line.
Hmm, I had a look at their site and you have to wonder how they can offer registration and hosting at less than half the cost of other registrars and hosting companies. I'd be worrying about the integrity of the data center for a start, and all the other background support services that are too important to be subjected to shortcuts or cost cutting by use of cheap hardware/software, lack of upgrades etc. I'm not saying namecheap do this, but you have to wonder how they provide the services they offer for the prices they advertise.

Old 06-02-2012, 08:31 AM   #3
Andrew B.
Staff

Here is a link to a description of what they know about how the hack took place. http://blog.mybb.com/

They are going to update this if they learn more. But as of now it appears as though the initial exploit was personal information of the project manager, which in turn gave them passwords to other places, his telephone, and personal information. I think this is worth reading as a lesson on how things can go bad.

BTW, can someone here tell me what Apple ID accounts are. Does Apple provide an integrated service based on a common ID?

Old 06-02-2012, 11:23 AM   #4
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Apple ID: a username, basically. If you have Mac Mail, an iTunes account, or ever bought anything from Apple directly, they use this ID.

Old 06-02-2012, 12:33 PM   #5
terrie
Staff

Quote:
andrew: http://blog.mybb.com/
Very interesting reading! Very scary that they were able to access so much based on the Apple ID info.

What is "two factor authentication"?

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 01:14 PM   #6
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
What is "two factor authentication"?]
It's a secure method of authentication requiring two of three possible methods of authentication: something you have, something you know and something you are. The Wikipedia article on it is quite good. We had the tokens at work for remote access and it was a pain to carry them around. Loved it when they put out a software token via an iPhone app.

Old 06-02-2012, 02:36 PM   #7
terrie
Staff

Thanks for that link...I hate having to select answers to the security questions...some of the places that use it go on and on and on and on with so many damned questions it's ridiculous because who remembers the answers...'-}}

Terrie
Old 06-02-2012, 03:00 PM   #8
annc
Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
Thanks for that link...I hate having to select answers to the security questions...some of the places that use it go on and on and on and on with so many damned questions it's ridiculous because who remembers the answers...'-}}
And they're still using only one authentication source, i.e. what you know. Centrelink (social security) here requires the provision of 5 questions for later authentication, but it's still a single authentication method.

Old 06-02-2012, 04:36 PM   #9
terrie
Staff

Quote:
ann: And they're still using only one authentication source, i.e. what you know.
Exactly and, after reading that article, it tells me that my gut reaction that the process is pretty stupid was confirmed...'-}}

Terrie
Old 06-02-2012, 08:19 PM   #10
Andrew B.
Staff

I'm reading about this in more than one place. Here's a tip:

Quote:
Make sure your passwords are safe, especially to your email account where password resetting emails will get sent to. That's basically how all of this started