DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 05-11-2012, 06:42 PM   #1
Preston

Default Will CS3 AND CS5 run on new Macs?

I need to run Indesign and Photoshop in both CS3 AND CS5. Will they run on a new Mac Pro OS? Do I need Rosetta? I hear it will work on Lion OS 10.6, but not the upcoming Mountain Lion OS 10.7. True?
Preston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:45 PM   #2
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston View Post
I need to run Indesign and Photoshop in both CS3 AND CS5. Will they run on a new Mac Pro OS? Do I need Rosetta? I hear it will work on Lion OS 10.6, but not the upcoming Mountain Lion OS 10.7. True?
Hmm, I recently restored my Snow Leopard MacBook Pro and then had troubles resulting in needing to upgrade to Lion. I just tried to run Indesign CS3 and it said that licensing for the product had stopped working and to contact Adobe. As I have CS4 and CS6 installed, I decided not to jump through Adobe's hoops for this one. But as the restore put the executional files back on the hard disc, this indicates that it is not a PowerPC-only app.

And CS4 works fine. Not what you wanted to know, I know. But if CS4 works, then CS5 will definitely work. Maybe someone else with CS3 installed and working will jump in.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:02 PM   #3
Preston

Thanks for trying to give me an answer. But I'm a little confused.

You had Snow Leopard (10.6) and ran CS3 OK. But then Lion (10.7) said something about "licensing". But you have CS4 and CS6 installed on Lion and run OK. But what happened to CS3? And what does "But as the restore put the executional files back on the hard disc, this indicates that it is not a PowerPC-only app" mean?
Preston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:51 AM   #4
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Thanks for trying to give me an answer. But I'm a little confused.

You had Snow Leopard (10.6) and ran CS3 OK. But then Lion (10.7) said something about "licensing". But you have CS4 and CS6 installed on Lion and run OK. But what happened to CS3? And what does "But as the restore put the executional files back on the hard disc, this indicates that it is not a PowerPC-only app" mean?
When I restored the MacBook Pro after upgrading to Lion, it failed to copy the PowerPC-only executable files, but the CS3 ones came across. So I think it's only Adobe's licensing that's stopping InDesign CS3 from running under Lion. But as I mentioned, I'm not going to jump through Adobe's hoops to try to get it working as I have CS4 and CS6 in working order. CS3 is old and I've been through a couple of machines and at least one restore, so have probably reached the installation limit for the version.

Old 05-12-2012, 09:25 AM   #5
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Google found this:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/879721
which led to this:
http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/g...mac-os-10.html

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:25 PM   #6
Shane Stanley
Staff

Quote:
Lion is 10.7; Mountain Lion will be 10.8. I just launched CS3 versions of InDesign and Photoshop fine in 10.7.4. They may have some quirks, but they run. They don't require Rosetta.

As for Mountain Lion, there aren't many people who can answer that at this stage...
Shane Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote