DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 03-12-2012, 08:33 AM   #1
Susie

Default Adobe Wants What??

This morning at work I got an e-mail from Adobe offering an upgrade to the latest and greatest Adobe Reader. I clicked on the link, provided my e-mail and clicked on 'Continue.' The next page offers me 1 year of tech support for $2.49, 2 years for $19.49 or 3 years unlimited support for $45.78, and asks for credit card information. There is no button for "No Thanks" and no button to bypass the tech support options. So now Adobe wants you to pay to have the latest Reader? What's next?

Old 03-12-2012, 08:34 AM   #2
BobRoosth

Sounds like spam/phishing to me. Kill it!
BobRoosth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:05 PM   #3
Robin Springall

Location: Ealing Common, London W5, where I duplicate CDs and DVDs.

Bob's right, Susie: definitely a fraudulent email. Adobe offers updates and upgrades through the program itself rather through emails.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:32 AM   #4
Susie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Springall View Post
Bob's right, Susie: definitely a fraudulent email. Adobe offers updates and upgrades through the program itself rather through emails.
That was my thought. I didn't bite and deleted the e-mail. It sure looked official though. Interesting though that this morning when I opened my browser, it defaulted to a site named Gekko, supposedly a search engine. I looked and something had changed my home page to that. So now that you mention it, I suspect my opening the e-mail was what did it. I absolutely saw none of the usual signs of scamming, though, such as mispelled words, etc.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:49 AM   #5
Robin Springall

Location: Ealing Common, London W5, where I duplicate CDs and DVDs.

Ooh, if the buggers have changed your home page - and if you're on a Windows computer - then you'd better run some anti-scumware scans PDQ, Susie. Try the free (standalone) version of malwarebytes' Antimalware to see if that throws up any nasties.

Rx

Old 03-13-2012, 03:38 PM   #6
curveto

Location: some room with white padded walls ... now surrounded by Saguaro Cacti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie View Post
This morning at work I got an e-mail from<snip/>

This thread is a good place to remind us all that (with but one exception that no one ever sees / checks) NOTHING in an email can be verified as truth.

The only thing (i.e., exception) that can be verified is the IP address (not the name) of the last sending host (not to be confused with an email's "Sender/From") ... in what could be a chain of sending hosts. Sadly, many big companies employ third party mail providers and that action effectively negates the usefulness of the last sender's IP.

NO PART of the content you see in an email application (certainly not From/To/Subject/Body) can be trusted, EVER. ...regardless of how authentic it may seem.

-----

If they managed to jack your default browser too, you have some pretty permissive JavaScript (or Flash or Acrobat JavaScript) permissions in place (that's how they made the leap ... and given that it's likely they impersonated you MUCH more). ...best to use this encounter to learn how to block such activities (or find another machine, not just user, to use for anything considered "sensitive").

They changed your default in an attempt to get you to visit a page (that is presumably loaded with drive by exploits). The odd bit is that they had all the permission they needed to accomplish a (headless) drive by shooting when they gained enough permission to change your home page.

Web Geeks: What browser has this (heavy abuse of window and above) vector still open? Some branch of the IE tree?
curveto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:23 AM   #7
Susie

<trying to stop my cat from replying to your message> I'm just now seeing your message, Robin, and I'm off today. I'll do it Monday. So far, I haven't seen any ill effects, but who knows what will happen.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:26 AM   #8
Susie

Quote:
Originally Posted by curveto View Post
The only thing (i.e., exception) that can be verified is the IP address (not the name) of the last sending host (not to be confused with an email's "Sender/From") ... -----
You're absolutely right. I usually check the IP address first thing, and just didn't this time. Lesson learned, and good to know about javascript. I'll make sure to look at what is enabled.