DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Old 03-07-2012, 03:22 PM   #1
Andrew B.
Staff

Default What's your favorite CMS?

What's your favorite CMS?

Old 03-08-2012, 01:45 AM   #2
Kelvyn
Staff

Having tried most of them over the years I have standardised on Joomla!, mainly for its ease of templating, styling and extendability. Importantly, I have found it relatively easy for my clients to use. For a standalone blogging site I will usually use Wordpress, again because it is relatively easy for client use.

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:17 AM   #3
iamback

For a wiki (often for personal use, to keep structured notes) I usually use WikkaWiki (to which I also contributed) but I'm about to try out DokuWiki for a public site, mainly because it has a Textile plugin - a kind of markup a lot of my intended audience is at least partly failiar with, so it would be easier for them to contribute.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:19 AM   #4
iamback

Another note: Kelvyn mentions Joomla! for general use, Wordpress for blogging - I mention two wiki engines... the point that I'd like to make is that there is a wide variety of CMSs - your choice really depends on your purpose (and in the case of wikis, on your audience): there is no one size fits all!

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:08 AM   #5
LoisWakeman
Staff

Wordpress. The hosted version is less customisable, but good for small brochure sites and you don't have to worry about s/w updates. As it has the concept of hierarchical pages, you can make quite sophisticated web sites with it, not just blogs.

As Kelvyn knows, I had a bit of trouble with Joomla and its shopping counterpart VirtueMart, which rather put me off. But it does a lot more than Wordpress, which is I believe pretty poor at e-commerce.
LoisWakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 03:21 AM   #6
Tim Lodge

I used MODX for my most recent CMS site. I needed to have different menus in different sections of the site, and MODX handled that very well. It's a development of Etomite, which I used before that.

Tim

Tim Lodge

Tim Lodge is offline   Reply With Quote