DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Photography

Old 02-06-2012, 10:24 PM   #41
John Spragens

You may have seen what that first digital camera looked like ...
http://www.todayandtomorrow.net/2010...igital-camera/

Ya, sure, I'm gonna throw one of those in my Domke!

www.enigmaterial.com
John Spragens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:11 AM   #42
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Looking at that (and WOW, the RESOLUTION!) you can understand why management might take one look and throw the thing ... and the whole idea along with it ... out the window.

Whoever thought that up was way out in front of what the technology of the day could support, at least in any practical way. How things changed though ...

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:16 AM   #43
Bo Aakerstrom

I like the compact cassette as storage medium though. Tacked on at the side like they last minute figured they had to save the image somewhere.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:44 AM   #44
Hugh Wyn Griffith

The lens mount looked OK ....

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:14 PM   #45
iamback

News via RedBubble: Kodak Stops Making Cameras But Sticks With Film.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:57 PM   #46
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Nice image of railroad tracks in snow. Very nice.
And the bicycle sign? Rightmost character is the one for a cart/conveyance/car. In Japanese it'd be the "sha" of "jidosha" (self powered car/conveyance). The leftmost character means "forbidden". I'm guessing the middle two are along the lines of "parking it here" but have no idea.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 02-12-2012, 03:46 PM   #47
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg View Post
Nice image of railroad tracks in snow. Very nice.
Thank you Steve!
It'd be even nicer if I edited it a bit to get rid of the bluish cast (something to do with small sensors or small lenses - or both, I'm not sure which). But all latest 'photographic notes' images on my Posterous are uploaded straight from the phone, without any editing (apart from size reduction to save on bandwidth). But apart from that (easily correctable) bluish cast, the phone makes pretty decent images.

I still marvel at the possibilities now: take shots at some station, and a few minutes later, on the train, write a post, add tags, reduce & attach the images, and upload the lot - somewhere in the middle of nowhere, from the moving train...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg View Post
And the bicycle sign? Rightmost character is the one for a cart/conveyance/car. In Japanese it'd be the "sha" of "jidosha" (self powered car/conveyance). The leftmost character means "forbidden". I'm guessing the middle two are along the lines of "parking it here" but have no idea.
Ah, interesting. I must have a look through my Chinese photos - some should have 'forbidden' on it, too. Thanks!

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 05:54 PM   #48
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Amazing, isn't it? And I didn't mind the bluish cast at all. Overcast days *are* bluish. It contributed to the mood.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 02-13-2012, 05:49 AM   #49
donmcc

There's logic for you. I can imagine the board meeting. Film is dead, sales dropping like a rock as people go digital. More and more cameras being sold daily (if you count mobile devices).

And the Kodak board decides to go with film, cause there is less competition. Hey guys, why not branch into buggy whips too?

But then these are the guys who invented the digital camera, then ignored it, hoping it would go away. Didn't happen, did it?

Technology cannot be stopped, slowed or changed. It happens.
donmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:51 PM   #50
amandahoward

I was browsing other webpages when I stumbled here. Last January 19, 2012, the company filed for bankruptcy. As far as I know, the american legend had tried a number of turnaround strategies and cost-cutting efforts in recent years, but the company which since 2004 has reported only one full year of profit, ran out of cash. I believe they should have filed for loan such as [inappropriate link removed] so that the company is saved. Moreover, if pundits and experts are to be believed, the reason is very simple. Kodak missed the digital revolution in photography. It did not go digital fast enough. What do you think?

Last edited by Steve Rindsberg; 02-14-2012 at 07:51 AM. Reason: Removed inappropriate link to a personal loan site