DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > General Publishing Topics

Old 05-25-2005, 08:32 AM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default TapCIS & OzWin news

Just received from the staff of the Tapcis forum:

CompuServe will be closing the Tapcis (and Ozwin) forums — by the end of this month (May 2005).

However, the Tapcis Forum staff has made a new home for refugees of both these venerable OLR forums. From an e-mail announcing the change:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapcis Forum Staff
The good news is that we have new quarters … No, sorry, you can't actually use TAPCIS there, but even as TAPCIS the *program* creeps toward retirement, TAPCIS the *community* is set to keep on keeping on.
The new place is at http://www.tapcis.com and that web site is associated with new web forums at http://www.tapcis.com/forums.

If you know Tapcis or OzWin users, let them know.

Old 05-26-2005, 05:18 PM   #2
Stephen Owades

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
Just received from the staff of the Tapcis forum:

CompuServe will be closing the Tapcis (and Ozwin) forums — by the end of this month (May 2005).

However, the Tapcis Forum staff has made a new home for refugees of both these venerable OLR forums. From an e-mail announcing the change:
The new place is at http://www.tapcis.com and that web site is associated with new web forums at http://www.tapcis.com/forums.

If you know Tapcis or OzWin users, let them know.
I received the same message from the Tapcis forum folks. It's interesting that they feel they have a viable on-line community that has a reason for existing even after the original reason--support for Tapcis--has been made obsolete. I wonder what they will chat about now?
Stephen Owades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 05:55 PM   #3
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Owades
I received the same message from the Tapcis forum folks. It's interesting that they feel they have a viable on-line community that has a reason for existing even after the original reason--support for Tapcis--has been made obsolete. I wonder what they will chat about now?
I guess they have a real sense of comaraderie.

In the meantime, CompuServe has closed these forums before closing all the HMI forums (the “adult” forums are still in the old format). Besides that, quite a few of the OzWin and Tapcis users are using the programs for e-mail.

So it is possible they have quite a bit to talk about!

Old 05-26-2005, 09:11 PM   #4
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
I guess they have a real sense of comaraderie.

In the meantime, CompuServe has closed these forums before closing all the HMI forums (the “adult” forums are still in the old format). Besides that, quite a few of the OzWin and Tapcis users are using the programs for e-mail.

So it is possible they have quite a bit to talk about!
The TAPCIS and OzWin forums on the new site are certainly fairly lively at this stage.

Old 05-28-2005, 03:19 PM   #5
Molly/CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Owades
I wonder what they will chat about now?
What we've always chatted about --anything and everything, on the highest and lowest levels imaginable. The TapCis software, once you'd got over the first couple of humps setting it up, was and is so stable, so intuitive, and so well-documented that there was never all that much TapCis to chat about, other than solving people's hardware-generated connection problems.

TapCis has for years been the best place I know to ask a question about any kind of hardware, software, computer, phone, or anything else problem, and the place to go if you want to know how many snow tires to put on your vehicle or anything like that. Drop in on section 7 (probably abuzz with the news now though) and you'll see. Or Section 8, if you dare...
Molly/CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 03:26 PM   #6
Molly/CA

Tapcis (prolly OzWin too) will still be many members' choice for e-mail as long as there is HMI mail. You are always safe using it as messages are plain text and anything perceived as binary content is downloaded to a separate directory, and you can choose to download headers only (in several flavors --all, all whose messages exceed some set # of characters, all whose messages have binary content, I believe) and thus eliminate obvious spam by deleting from your mailbox without downloading. I'm using Pegasus in anticipation of quitting CS (which will happen the day the forum closes), and while it's fun seeing pictures and a variety of fonts in messages, I often feel homesick for the simplicity and speed of TapCis mail.

CS promises that they have no plans to deep-six HMI mail --maybe not until next week, going by what their promises are generally worth.
Molly/CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 04:04 PM   #7
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly/CA
Tapcis (prolly OzWin too) will still be many members' choice for e-mail as long as there is HMI mail.
Not to mention good old CIM.

Although I have Eudora set up to fetch my CIS mail, I can also always go in with CIM and get it.

Old 05-29-2005, 12:35 PM   #8
terrie
Staff

>>kt: Although I have Eudora set up to fetch my CIS mail, I can also always go in with CIM and get it.

I still use WinCim for my cserve mail with Eurdora as a backup...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 01:54 PM   #9
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie
I still use WinCim for my cserve mail with Eurdora as a backup...
Somewhere in all these still unpacked moving boxes are a handful of 10 year old (at least) CIS signup CDs with (if you scroll down in the window just out of obvious view) MacCIM 2.4.something. I don't remember when, but probably about a year ago I stopped using MacCIM completely and I haven't collect CIS mail with it in probably 5 or 6 years, ever since I first decided to try Outlook Express that I found on my then brand new iMacDVSE.

Old 05-29-2005, 02:04 PM   #10
terrie
Staff

>>elysec: I haven't collect CIS mail with it in probably 5 or 6 years, ever since I first decided to try Outlook Express that I found on my then brand new iMacDVSE.

While I find Wincim a bit klutzy, I still prefer it because I can delete stuff on the server without having to d/l it...Eudora comes in when I want to see what Wincim would just stuff into my download file and also when I need to attach more than one file to an email...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote