Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 01-06-2012, 09:23 PM   #1
Andrew B.
Staff

Default Photoshop CS5 display problem

Running Windows 7.
Computer is Sony laptop VPCCW21FX.
Graphics are NVIDIA GeForce 310M, Driver Date: 11/2/2009, Driver Version 8.16.11.8783

With Photoshop CS5, usually when I load an image the image name shows up in the tab but the photo does not appear. The "hour glass" persists. Waiting doesn't help. I can fix this by launching a graphic file manager or by minimizing Photoshop and expanding it. When I do this the screen blinks, giving me the impression that the video card is switching into a different mode. I checked the NVIDIA site for a driver update, and its driver sniffer told me my driver is not a stock driver, and that the computer maker changed it. I believe this, because it seems like a Sony thing to do. And I assume Sony does not have a later version because Sony's automated updater has not offered me one.

I had a hunch maybe Win 7 Aero was something to try turning off, but I can't find where to turn it off. Other than that, I have no idea what to try.

Suggestions?

Old 01-07-2012, 06:01 AM   #2
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

One quick way to ditch Aero: rightclick the desktop, choose Personalize, and in the pane that appears, choose one of the themes OTHER than the "Aero Themes" ones. My Win7 boxes have all come with a manufacturer-supplied theme or two, so I pick those, change the background to something more satisfying. Pplain gray or deep blue ... I don't mind if the stuff ON the screen is exciting but I don't want the screen itself competing for attention ;-)

Your new theme will appear at the top of the themes display; if it works, you'll probably want to save it (click "Save theme" to the right of the current theme at top of display)

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 03:05 PM   #3
Andrew B.
Staff

They only provide one non-Aero Theme, which I am now using. That seemed to fix the PS problem, but one of my plugins still didn't work right. I ended up reinstalling the driver. Which fixed it. But then I switched to a different theme and back again, and the plugin was broken again. So I replaced the driver again, and this fixed it. Something screwy going on.

BTW, I ran a diagnostic and it it says my driver is not compatible with Aero. Makes me wonder what is on Sony's mind. I am tempted to not buy a Sony again, even though they look very cool.