DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-23-2005, 08:01 PM   #1
Andrew B.
Staff

Default Red Paw Media Plugins

Red Paw Media plugins are among the better plugins I've tested. I only did limited testing, but I am impressed by what I saw. So, if you need what these can do, it might be worth the time for you to run your own tests (Windows only). The demo mode places a watermark on the image.

Here's what they have.

1. Process FX ($19.95). Darkroom cross process can bring about a variety of results, but in the world of simulating cross process, everyone seems to agree that the greenish/cyanish C41 to E6 look is desirable. This is not always easy to reach using native Photoshop tools, so that leaves the plugins, such as Nik Color Efex and Digital Film Tools 55mm. And now Process FX, which does a very good job with the greenish/cyanish look. It also offers a great deal of control over the look. Much more than the other plugins. And you can venture outside of this look, but using the same kinds of controls. Comes with presets, and the ability for you to create your own.

2. Bleach Bypass Pro ($19.95). Another very strong filter with controls that exceed its competitors. But in fairness to the others, what it comes down to is what works for you. Sometimes fewer controls can work much better in production environments. Other times you need the greater range of more controls. But no matter what, if you are interested in a Bleach Bypass filter, I suggest you take a look. It is pretty easy to use. Except I have to say, the Gamma slider is a little weird. But I'll let you decide if it bothers you.

3. B&W Pro 2 ($24.95). I'm not a good person to comment on this. I don't prefer to use plugins for my B&W conversions. But I can say that this plugin offers a respectable number of controls that seem to work well. So if you want a B&W conversion plugin, this might be one to consider.

If anyone gives it a look, I would appreciate some comments. Or for that matter, comments on the others too.

4. HotPixel (Free). Hot pixels are not something I deal with often, and I don't have any photos to test this. Maybe someone else will try it and comment.

5. Bleach Bypass (Free). This is not to be confused with their Bleach Bypass Pro (above). I can't imagine ever using this one on a photo. So I guess the worst came last. But check out the other ones (above).

http://www.redpawmedia.com/

Last edited by Andrew B.; 05-23-2005 at 09:01 PM.
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote