DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 11-10-2011, 06:34 PM   #1
Andrew B.
Staff

Default Filter Forge 3 released

Filter Forge is program that lets you create custom filters by chaining together a series of image modification operations via a node-based interface. You can also add controls to the filters to regulate how these operations work. It runs as a standalone and as a Photoshop plugin. It does not create filters that operate outside of Filter Forge. For example, you cannot create 8bf files for use in Photoshop.

Home page: http://www.filterforge.com/
What's new: http://www.filterforge.com/features/whats-new3.html

You can see some examples in my gallery of what I did with Filter Forge. See second row, third image; fourth row, third image; and last row, first image. http://www.fallberry.com/gallery/Photoart/index.html.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:12 PM   #2
terrie
Staff

I gave it a try a bit ago and while I think there are some interesting things you can do with it, I decided I do better with Photoshop and Painter...

I really like your 9, 11 and 16 images and 20 is pretty cool too...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:38 PM   #3
Andrew B.
Staff

Image 20 was a very interesting one to do. It started out as a fairly routine photo of a semi-fluffy black cat. I'm still amazed at how transformed it looks. All done in Photoshop with native tools.

Old 11-11-2011, 11:52 AM   #4
terrie
Staff

It's a quite nice woodcut effect...'-}}

Terrie
Old 11-13-2011, 11:52 PM   #5
Andrew B.
Staff

Thanks. I got excited when I did this, thinking I could use the same method to turn any photo into a woodcut look. Wrong!

Looking at it now I think I would make some changes. The cat chest area looks a bit spikey to me. And some other spots too. And maybe I'd eliminate those things on the left.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:47 AM   #6
terrie
Staff

Quote:
andrew: I got excited when I did this, thinking I could use the same method to turn any photo into a woodcut look. Wrong!
My guess is that you need to compare the exposure/colors in this successful image to your other images that weren't as successful and "match" those images to the cat's exposure/colors...

>>The cat chest area looks a bit spikey to me.

I don't think so...I think it shows the nature of the fur quite nicely...

By the way...the master photoart page took longer to display than it has in the past and the individual image display took longer also--you'd asked about load times in your other posting and when I tested the fallberry load times, it was fine and the photoart page had also displayed quickly so I'm not sure what's going on today (Monday Nov. 14 about 2:45pm eastern)...

Later Edit: I just tried it again after closing my browser (clears cookies) and coming back in and the load time was perfectly fine...so...perhaps a random sort of glitch?

Terrie
Old 11-15-2011, 04:22 PM   #7
Andrew B.
Staff

Yes, comparing an image to past successes makes sense. I've tried that, but never with any success. It could be I'm a bad predictor.

Anyway, I appreciate your extra test on the site. I'm having intermittent problems. I asked my members if they were having problems. One answered and said "no." So now I'm procrastinating.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:17 PM   #8
terrie
Staff

Quote:
andrew: Yes, comparing an image to past successes makes sense. I've tried that, but never with any success. It could be I'm a bad predictor.
LOL!!

>>I'm having intermittent problems.

Those are always sooo annoying...let me know if you need me to check again...

Terrie
Old 12-17-2011, 11:35 PM   #9
Andrew B.
Staff

Here are some examples of Filter Forge results that I find interesting: Holiday disobedience, Lady Red, My Paris, and Greek Village.

Anyway, now that I've gone to the trouble of looking at a few pages of their gallery, I realized I should start paying attention to the fact that I have access to slews of filters. I've been using only two.

Old 12-18-2011, 01:10 PM   #10
terrie
Staff

Those examples are quite nice...I think the coat in Lady Red is a bit too flat though...I can't remember if I mentioned that I'd d/l'd the trial version and did some playing...in the end, I still prefer to work in Painter but...that's me...'-}}

>>I realized I should start paying attention to the fact that I have access to slews of filters. I've been using only two.

LOL!!! I do that too...'-}}

Terrie