DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Fonts & Typography

Old 10-20-2011, 03:33 PM   #1
rakman4

Default Adobe Garamond in Lion

Hello all,

I've just gotten a new iMac running Lion (10.7.2), due to the untimely (or possibly timely) death of my 2005 iMac G5. I also have a MacBook Pro running 10.5.8. I've gotten to using Adobe Garamond a lot as a default font — both on the dead Mac (10.4) and the PowerBook, and I note that my copy of the font is 1993 — which must be when I bought it.

On Lion, all of my old documents that use AGaramond show that font as "(missing)", and the Adobe Garamond that has been newly installed by Font Book as "Adobe Garamond Pro." Thus do I have to fix it in every file for every instance of text that uses it. Has anyone using Lion had this kind of font weirdness?

Old 10-21-2011, 06:49 AM   #2
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Is it that you've installed the same Adobe Garamond as on the other computer but it's now being recognized as Adobe Garamond Pro, or is Adobe Garamond Pro a font that came from some other source (and might be a different font, which might explain why docs that want plain ol' Adobe Garamond show it as missing)?

I went here to see if I could learn about multiple versions of Garamond from Adobe and came away totally confused:

http://new.myfonts.com/search/adobe+garamond/fonts/

It seems there's

ITC Garamond from Adobe and
Adobe Garamond from Monotype and
Adobe Garamond from Linotype

I'm.
So.
Confused.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 06:57 AM   #3
rakman4

The ITC Garamond is a different one, and it used to be the house font for the music publisher CF Peters. To my eyes it's rounder and more clowny a Garamond. Now they use Times Roman and Adobe Garamond.

I am using the same PS Type 1 font files -- or copies thereof -- I had on the dead computer, and that are on my laptop using the OS X flavors listed. On font menus of those two, it listed as "AGaramond". On this totally bitchin dontcha know 27" iMac with 10.7.2, the same files are listed as "Adobe Garamond Pro". With type previously set in "AGaramond" defaulting to some flavor of Arial. I know some programs have font substitutions for uninstalled fonts — Finale (music engraving software) and Word and Pages don't seem to have it.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:10 AM   #4
Howard Allen

Just to make sure I'm following your problem, let's see if I've got this right:

1) Your new iMac with Lion came with Adobe Garamond Pro.
2) You wanted the old Adobe Garamond (PS Type 1), so you installed it on the new iMac.
3) On the new iMac, font menus show only "Adobe Garamond Pro", not "Adobe Garamond".
4) Any of your old files (from the old machines) now show "missing font" errors, and/or substitute fonts (Arial, e.g.).

If I've got all that right, then there are a few things I would try (some of which you may already have done).

1) In FontBook, make sure the (old) "Adobe Garamond" that you installed on the new iMac is enabled (in the FontBook/Edit menu).
2) Quit all your applications except FontBook. If "Adobe Garamond" is shown as enabled, then disable it. Then enable it again. Start up one of your applications and see if the correct "Adobe Garamond" is working.
3) Try running "Validate Font" (FontBook File menu) on the (old) Adobe Garamond font.
4) No joy? The next thing I'd try (though it's a long-shot) is repairing permissions (Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility/Repair Permissions). Something could be wonky with permissions when you installed the old font on the new machine.
5) Still no good? Next thing I'd try is this: Quit FontBook. Then trash its preferences file. In Lion (I just learned this in MacWorld Magazine--I don't have Lion myself!), you have to make (David)/Library visible. In Finder, hold down the Option key and click the Go menu. Your Library folder should appear as a choice. Open it, then navigate to Library/Preferences/com.apple.FontBook.plist. Drag that file out of there (say, to the desktop). Now relaunch FontBook. Make sure both "Adobe Garamond" and "Adobe Garamond Pro" are enabled. Try one of your applications and see if things work.

The only other thing I can think of is where you've installed the font, though theoretically it shouldn't make any difference. As you know, there are several places in OSX where fonts can reside (root/Library/Fonts, root/System/Library/Fonts, user/Library/Fonts, user/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Fonts, etc). You might want to try moving your user-installed Adobe Garamond to a different location--but I wouldn't put it in root/System/Library/Fonts.

If none of this works, I'm all outta ideas.

Good luck--let us know if you find a solution.

OSX 10.10.5
Howard Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:31 PM   #5
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Have nothing useful to say (haven’t ventured into Lion), but thought I’d say hello anyway.

Hope you are doing well (other than in the Adobe Garamond arena).

Old 10-22-2011, 09:04 AM   #6
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

So something's keeping the "legacy" Garamond frmo getting recognized/used on the new (TBDK etc) Mac. Sounds like Howard's got the next steps mapped out and about halfway through them, I'm over my head. ;-)

>> I know some programs have font substitutions for uninstalled fonts — Finale (music engraving software) and Word and Pages don't seem to have it.

Word seems to: Word menu | Preferences | Compatibility | Font Substitutions

I think that'll let you choose each missing font and pick a font to substitute for it. Can't tell exactly; it won't let me into the feature unless fonts are missing.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 10-22-2011, 11:38 AM   #7
Howard Allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg View Post
Word...I think that'll let you choose each missing font and pick a font to substitute for it. Can't tell exactly; it won't let me into the feature unless fonts are missing.
There are a few applications that will do "global" font replacements. (Replace every instance of Arial in the file with Adobe Garamond, e.g.) InDesign is one. However, I suspect they're few and far between. Some others might let you accomplish the same thing with style-sensitive search-and-replace routines--again, InDesign comes to mind. Unfortunately, this isn't much help if your application of choice isn't one of them, and I suspect that applies to rakman4's music software.

OSX 10.10.5
Howard Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 02:08 PM   #8
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Allen View Post
There are a few applications that will do "global" font replacements. (Replace every instance of Arial in the file with Adobe Garamond, e.g.) InDesign is one. However, I suspect they're few and far between. Some others might let you accomplish the same thing with style-sensitive search-and-replace routines--again, InDesign comes to mind. Unfortunately, this isn't much help if your application of choice isn't one of them, and I suspect that applies to rakman4's music software.
It's rare (and oh so valuable). PowerPoint's been able to do it for years; the feature in Mac PPT is weaker than in the Windows version but it's there. And what I described in my earlier reply seems to work in Word. I created a Word file on the PC, tossed in all manner of fonts that I was pretty sure weren't on the Mac. Opened the file in Mac Word 2011 and it let me choose which fonts to substitute for each of the missing ones and (very nice touch) whether to make the font substitution permanent or not.

Since Dave mentioned Word, that's what I looked into, lacking any of the other stuff.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 12-05-2011, 02:22 PM   #9
rakman4

Hi, and sorry for the long lag here. The teaching semester got goofy.

Today I de-installed all my Adobe Garamonds in Font Book and re-installed them, plowing right through the part where some of them may not pass the test.... Problem solved. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Old 12-05-2011, 02:24 PM   #10
rakman4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
Have nothing useful to say (haven’t ventured into Lion), but thought I’d say hello anyway.

Hope you are doing well (other than in the Adobe Garamond arena).
Greetings, too, though with a rather long delay. I'm about to finish my first semester after a yearlong sabbatical (including a semester in the south of France, ooh la la). Font problems solved, doing well, ready to plunge right in to the creative time the semester break affords!