DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Old 05-22-2005, 10:13 AM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default Web hosts redux

I am thinking of moving my web site to a new host for a variety of reasons. It seems as if I am always looking for a new host, for one site or another.

Now I am considering TextDrive, which has a reassuring write-up on what they do and why they charge “so much” ($12/month, $132/year for the plan I am considering).

But what do I know? Every time I make what I believe is a rational decision, something I didn’t think of (or didn’t understand, more likely) rises up and bites me. So what do you think? (The link is to the FAQ; other links there describe the offerings, the people, and more.)

Appreciate any feedback.

Old 05-22-2005, 12:03 PM   #2
djb

I use aliencreed.com, owned by Debbie Gates.
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 01:02 PM   #3
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
I am thinking of moving my web site to a new host for a variety of reasons. It seems as if I am always looking for a new host, for one site or another.

Now I am considering TextDrive, which has a reassuring write-up on what they do and why they charge “so much” ($12/month, $132/year for the plan I am considering).

But what do I know? Every time I make what I believe is a rational decision, something I didn’t think of (or didn’t understand, more likely) rises up and bites me. So what do you think? (The link is to the FAQ; other links there describe the offerings, the people, and more.)

Appreciate any feedback.
I've got two sites with Real Web Hosting, and have found them perfectly adequate so far. Uptime has been well withing the guarantee, and the y have not lost any e-mails on me, unlike my previous hosting company, IXWeb Hosting, which failed to deliver innumerable e-mails.

How many domains do you need to have hosted? I have three with RWH for a total of $12.95 a month, which is pretty cheap. They also give me access to the root for that, which means I can manage forums, and set up MySQL databases.

If you don't need that sort of access, I have two domains with GoDaddy, at $3.95 a month. One is hosted there, and the other is redirected to the first at no cost. No access to the root, but they do provide Analog stats. No problems with speed, and uptime is almost 100%. In three months, there's been one downtime instance lasting about half an hour. That was in the early a.m. US time, so I was unlucky that it was mid-afternoon my time.

Old 05-22-2005, 04:21 PM   #4
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc
I've got two sites with Real Web Hosting… How many domains do you need to have hosted? I have three with RWH for a total of $12.95 a month, which is pretty cheap. …

If you don't need that sort of access, I have two domains with GoDaddy, at $3.95 a month. …
Both of those are also on my short list.

TextDrive will allow up to three domains for $12/month; but after having multiple domains in one deal on IX, I think I would rather have one at a time. I am too easily confused as it is!

So I ask …

Old 05-22-2005, 05:07 PM   #5
Andrew B.
Staff

Well, they are offering PHP 5, which means you could use cutting-edge PHP stuff that requires the latest features. And, they provide PHP 4 for compatibility. I don't see what kind of control panel they use. This could make a big difference. And have you checked your current control panel to see how much band width you need.
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 05:15 PM   #6
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B.
Well, they are offering PHP 5, which means you could use cutting-edge PHP stuff that requires the latest features. And, they provide PHP 4 for compatibility. I don't see what kind of control panel they use. This could make a big difference. And have you checked your current control panel to see how much band width you need.
Thanks.

I need pathetically little bandwidth (alas!). But even if it went bananas, I doubt I would need more than they offer. (“Bananas” would call for me to do a hell of a lot of work first! <g>). As for PHP 5, I do not know when/if I would need that.

Good idea to ask if I can see the control panel.

Appreciate the feedback.

Old 05-22-2005, 07:13 PM   #7
Sid Dean

Kathleen –

Have you checked out 1 & 1 hosting at www.1and1.com ?

They offer a broad range of packages starting with the "Home Package" for $ 4.99 monthly. That includes:

Linux or MS hosting;

No setup fee;

1.000 MB;

1 FTP acct;

Control Panel;

Stats & original Logfiles;

1 Chat Channel;

CGI Library;

Active Server Pages (MS hosting only);

Graphic Archive;

1 Domain;

10 Subdomains;

200 E-Mail accts (1 GB each);

Aliases, Autoresponders, Forwarding;

Spam Filter & Virus Protection (for 1 e-mail acct);

and a few more things.

For $ 9.99 monthly you get the "Business Package" which has even more goodies, incl. Perl, PHP3 through 5, 1 MySQL database, SSI – just about everything but a partridge in a pear tree.

I’ve been with 1&1 for about a year and a half and am basically satisfied. Their customer service is responsive, and they offer a decent FAQ section which handled most questions I had. Only one real complaint: the control panel, and the individual elements you access from it, load slowly.

Sid
Sid Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 08:48 PM   #8
Andrew B.
Staff

Interesting. I was reading some comments from a former TextDrive customer. He mentioned their network being down but not the server. So I poked around. Looks to me like they are using the same data center that Real Web Host uses. I also found a data center photo that is identical for both places.
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 05:21 AM   #9
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Dean
Have you checked out 1 & 1 hosting at www.1and1.com ?
Yes. In fact it was the first host we tried for the forum when we started testing in early 2004. It may have improved, especially as I am sure it was all Windows-based at the time, but both Ann and I struggled to use the control panel at all.

Now we know more now than we did then, but it was not one of our better experiences, so I probably wouldn’t consider it for myself.

Appreciate the feedback.

Old 05-23-2005, 05:36 AM   #10
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B.
Interesting. I was reading some comments from a former TextDrive customer. He mentioned their network being down but not the server. So I poked around. Looks to me like they are using the same data center that Real Web Host uses. I also found a data center photo that is identical for both places.
Now that is interesting! Where did you do this poking around?

Why was he a former TextDrive customer, if he said.

Now I find myself wondering how many data centers there actually are. Maybe there are only a handful and all these hosts are on one or another of them. How unusual is it for a data center to go down, I wonder?

And I would still be interested in knowing how typical the TextDrive setup (as described on that page) is. Is it average? Extraordinary? Better than average?

And what about the comments in the “Why aren’t we even cheaper?” segment in the TextDrive FAQ? Does it sound like hogwash? Or straight talk?

What I am groping for is better understanding of what is likely to work without a lot of fuss and downtime, what not.