DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Photography

Old 07-22-2011, 12:36 PM   #21
John Spragens

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
Photoshop's Healing brush does make life much easier but it can be quite tedious
Definitely makes me feel good about investing in a Wacom tablet. Much easier with a stylus than with a mouse, especially for small spots.

With a mouse, you have to reduce the brush size appropriately, then kick it back up when you're dealing with larger spots. With the tablet, you can take advantage of the pressure sensitivity to modulate the size of the spot you're affecting, up to the brush size you've set for the tool.

So, for example, I tend to work with a brush size set to 19 pixels most of the time, but by using light pressure I can blip out dust motes as small as a single pixel (assuming the surrounding area has appropriate values for the spot healing brush to sample).

www.enigmaterial.com
John Spragens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:36 PM   #22
terrie
Staff

Quote:
john: Definitely makes me feel good about investing in a Wacom tablet. Much easier with a stylus than with a mouse, especially for small spots.
That's funny...I find the opposite to be true...I found the mouse much easier and quicker...I don't use my tablet that much in Photoshop but I use it almost exclusively in Painter...

>>So, for example, I tend to work with a brush size set to 19 pixels most of the time, but by using light pressure I can blip out dust motes as small as a single pixel (assuming the surrounding area has appropriate values for the spot healing brush to sample).

I will try it with the stylus next time...

Which Wacom do you have? I've got the Intuos 2...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 03:22 PM   #23
John Spragens

Mine's a couple of generations later -- an Intuos 4.

www.enigmaterial.com
Old 07-24-2011, 03:34 PM   #24
terrie
Staff

Quote:
john: an Intuos 4.
ahhh...every once in a while I think about upgrading to a new tablet, but my current Intuos 2 is still working quite well so I've not taken the plunge for a new one...

Terrie
Old 07-31-2011, 12:05 PM   #25
John Spragens

I was doing a bunch of reconfiguration as I switched to a Mac for my main workhorse. The Intuos 4 is on USB (my older tablet was for an old-style serial port), and my new KVM switch will switch the tablet among computers, along with the keyboard, mouse, and dual monitors.

Also, I'd had a really big tablet before. I went down to the medium-size model this time and find it's more convenient for what I do with the tablet -- mainly spotting photos.

www.enigmaterial.com
Old 07-31-2011, 12:53 PM   #26
terrie
Staff

Quote:
john: The Intuos 4 is on USB (my older tablet was for an old-style serial port)
Ahhh...I haven't seen a serial ported tablet in a long time...my first tablet was from Calcomp and it was quite nice (and way less pricey than the Wacoms) and I got my 2nd tablet via ebay--a rebranded Calcomp--and I'm pretty sure it was my first usb tablet. When I had my system before my current setup built, I finally succumbed to a Wacom primarily since Calcomp was no longer making tablets...

>>Also, I'd had a really big tablet before. I went down to the medium-size model this time and find it's more convenient for what I do with the tablet -- mainly spotting photos.

I've always used a "medium" size-ish tablet--6x8-ish--as anything larger just seemed like it would too large and of course a medium size is less pricey...'-}}

Was it much of an adjustment to move to the smaller tablet?

Terrie
Old 08-03-2011, 08:22 PM   #27
John Spragens

No adjustment at all, really, since it had been a longish time since I'd used the older tablet. It's one of those bits of gear I have not because I use it often but because it makes my life so much more pleasant when I do have a good reason to use it.

www.enigmaterial.com
Old 08-04-2011, 10:49 AM   #28
terrie
Staff

Quote:
john: It's one of those bits of gear I have not because I use it often but because it makes my life so much more pleasant when I do have a good reason to use it.
LOL! I know exactly what you mean...'-}}

I don't know why but I rarely use my tablet in Photoshop but I use it extensively in Painter--a tablet is essential for Painter...

Terrie
Old 08-04-2011, 09:01 PM   #29
John Spragens

I can well imagine.

What ever happened to Painter's sibling Expression? It was the vector-based program from Fractal Design. Did it die, or did somebody pick it up and continue development?

www.enigmaterial.com
Old 08-05-2011, 01:03 AM   #30
Bo Aakerstrom

Sold to Microsoft and now called Microsoft Expression Design.

Corel's Painter came from them as well.