DTP


 
Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web


Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2011, 08:08 AM   #1
Type-O-Positive
Member
 
Type-O-Positive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Loch Lomond & Trossachs National Park
Posts: 107
Default DTP software & Mac Lion

Hi to all. I haven't been here for a while. So, thought I'd have a look in.
A couple of days ago, I upgraded my iMac, from 'Snow leopard' to the newly released 'Lion' OS.
The first thing it did was to render my newly purchased third party DTP software, incompatible.
I am finding almost impossible to get a reliable DTP program for the Mac.
I am seriously considering going down the 'Bootcamp' road, and putting (Chokes and wretches) MS Windows on a separate partition.

Last edited by terrie; 07-24-2011 at 04:31 PM.
Type-O-Positive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 08:35 AM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop
 
ktinkel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Posts: 11,189
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Type-O-Positive View Post
The first thing it did was to render my newly purchased third party DTP software, incompatible.

I am finding almost impossible to get a reliable DTP program for the Mac.
The two major programs — QuarkXPress and Adobe InDesign — are annoying at times, but I do not find them unreliable. What sort of problems do you have?

Quote:
I am seriously considering going down the 'Bootcamp' road, and putting (Chokes and wretches) MS Windows on a separate partition.
Then what DTP software would you run? Now I’m puzzled!

   
__________________
[SIZE=2][COLOR=LemonChiffon]::[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ktinkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 10:42 AM   #3
Type-O-Positive
Member
 
Type-O-Positive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Loch Lomond & Trossachs National Park
Posts: 107
Default

Now that I am retired. I cannot afford Adobe or Quark.
The biggest problem I am finding with most third party software, is page layouts. The last one I recently bought and used, was 'Desk Top Publisher Pro'.
Which simply refused to keep my border settings. And when I tried to compose a page of address labels. It once again, would not keep to my label size. Preferring to do it's own thing.
I always loved my trusty Serif Page Plus (6) which, without fail, always kept to all the dimensions entered. Regrettably though. It is not available on the Mac.
Type-O-Positive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 10:52 AM   #4
Type-O-Positive
Member
 
Type-O-Positive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Loch Lomond & Trossachs National Park
Posts: 107
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
The two major programs — QuarkXPress and Adobe InDesign — are annoying at times, but I do not find them unreliable. What sort of problems do you have?

Then what DTP software would you run? Now I’m puzzled!
As I said previously. I would use Page Plus 6. Which I have always found to be the most straightforward and simple to use. Version 6 was the last version where you entered text directly on to your page and not into a separate text box. Borders would remain constant. And if I want a 64mm x 34mm box for a label. I can drag a box to the exact size, with the dimensions being shown on the tool bar at the bottom of the page. And if it still wasn't quite right. I could right click on my box and enter the parameters manually. I don't know of any DTP program that gives you that amount of control.
Type-O-Positive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 01:38 PM   #5
ktinkel
Founding Sysop
 
ktinkel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Posts: 11,189
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Type-O-Positive View Post
As I said previously. I would use Page Plus 6. Which I have always found to be the most straightforward and simple to use. Version 6 was the last version where you entered text directly on to your page and not into a separate text box. Borders would remain constant. And if I want a 64mm x 34mm box for a label. I can drag a box to the exact size, with the dimensions being shown on the tool bar at the bottom of the page. And if it still wasn't quite right. I could right click on my box and enter the parameters manually. I don't know of any DTP program that gives you that amount of control.
InDesign and XPress both have such control, though it may be more opaque than what you are used to.

Dear old PageMaker worked like that too. Still miss it.

   
__________________
[SIZE=2][COLOR=LemonChiffon]::[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ktinkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 02:00 PM   #6
Type-O-Positive
Member
 
Type-O-Positive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Loch Lomond & Trossachs National Park
Posts: 107
Default

I also tried Apple 'iPages', part of iWork. That really is the most dreadful graphics program I have ever come across.
Type-O-Positive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 02:14 PM   #7
terrie
Staff
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 8,946
Default

Quote:
type-o-positive: I am finding almost impossible to get a reliable DTP program for the Mac.
Have you checked ebay for InDesign and/or Quark?

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 02:21 PM   #8
Type-O-Positive
Member
 
Type-O-Positive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Loch Lomond & Trossachs National Park
Posts: 107
Default

Yep! Just had a quick peek.
Nothing available.
Type-O-Positive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 02:51 PM   #9
ktinkel
Founding Sysop
 
ktinkel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Posts: 11,189
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Type-O-Positive View Post
I also tried Apple 'iPages', part of iWork. That really is the most dreadful graphics program I have ever come across.
Amen! It is dreadful at everything it attempts. One of Apple’s great failures, from my point of view — yet I do see people online who love it. No accounting for taste, I guess.

I also hate Numbers. Excel may drive me crazy sometimes, but it does work. Numbers doesn’t.

   
__________________
[SIZE=2][COLOR=LemonChiffon]::[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ktinkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 04:30 PM   #10
terrie
Staff
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 8,946
Default

Quote:
type-o-positive: Yep! Just had a quick peek.
Nothing available
Do keep an eye out because things change from day to day...

PS...I've modified the thread title so it's a bit more indicative of what we're discussing...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Contents copyright 2004–2014 Desktop Publishing Forum and its members.