DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 07-09-2011, 10:28 AM   #1
Andrew B.
Staff

Default Win 7 update frequency

I'm getting updates pushed to me several times a day. Anyone else seeing this?

Old 07-09-2011, 04:01 PM   #2
Hugh Wyn Griffith

There have been a bunch of "out of band" updates recently (those are ones not on the second Tuesday of each month) but certainly not every day.

How is your Windows Update set? Fully automatic / Download and then ask if I want to install / Tell me and let me decide when and what I want to download and install?

Have you checked your Update History to see if any Failed to install?

Are the downloads you keep getting Optional ones -- eg Hardware related or for stuff you may not have like SilverLight or NET Framework? You can hide things you don't want to be nagged about.

What version of Windows are you using?

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:10 PM   #3
Andrew B.
Staff

I'm set to update every day at 3 am, but because I shut down my computer more than once day, it installs them then too.

I'm using Win7. I just looked and some of the waiting updates are generic Windows updates, but there are also some .NET security updates.

Anyway, no big deal. I was just curious if other Win7 users noticed this.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:04 PM   #4
donmcc

I haven't noticed any lately. Mine tend to install when I want the machine to shut down, and it refuses to close up until it does its stuff.

Any possibility that you have a virus pretending to be doing Win Updates while it messes around?
donmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:00 AM   #5
Andrew B.
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by donmcc View Post
I haven't noticed any lately. Mine tend to install when I want the machine to shut down, and it refuses to close up until it does its stuff.
I'm on a laptop, and when I shut down it shows a message that it's installing updates. When you get updates, does yours do the same.

Also, is your Windows 7 update feature set to allow for updates to be installed daily?

Quote:
Any possibility that you have a virus pretending to be doing Win Updates while it messes around?
That's one of the things that crossed my mind. So my first step is to try to find other Windows 7 users who have their computers set the same way, and see what's going on. The only other thing is my computer is fresh from the shop. So I worry about a backdoor. Or maybe MS I'm getting a lot of updates because the version is a few months old.

BTW, I can go into the Windows Update feature and see the list of updates. I wonder if I should check to see if I"m getting the same updates over and over.

Old 07-10-2011, 12:35 PM   #6
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Showing a message at shutdown and again at startup after updates is normal.

A fresh install of Windows will take quite a few updates to bring it up to current, and it seems likely that there'd be some updates that have earlier updates as prerequisites, so the updater might have to pull them down sequentially, and wait for the next day after the first batch has been installed/system's been rebooted to install the next batch.

I recently set up a Win7/64 laptop and installed both Office 2003 and 2010, then turned on updates. It about drove me nuts. I finally told it to give me a manual update, told it to pull down nearly everything it had available, rebooted so it could install all of that, repeated the process a few times over the next couple of days.

That seems to have settled it down.

And now updating is off again.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 04:55 PM   #7
Andrew B.
Staff

Steve, I think that was happening to me. Also, a couple updates were failing, and so Microsoft pushed them to me again. I only realized this after I discovered where to read the log.

Old 07-10-2011, 06:42 PM   #8
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Why don't you try setting it to the third choice -- Jusst notify and let me decide when to download and install. That way you get an icon on the system tray and a popup to tell you and you can do the download and install then or when it suits you.

This has the advantage of avoiding the delay at shutdown just when you want to close down quickly, maybe grab the PC and go somewhere.

You can choose the time to download and to install to suit you instead of suiting MS.

Hugh
Old 07-10-2011, 06:43 PM   #9
Hugh Wyn Griffith

don -- see my note to Andrew on why I do it differently. Most techies that I know do that too and then we can even decide No we don't want Microsoft's latest take on Digital Rights Management thank you.

Hugh
Old 07-10-2011, 06:47 PM   #10
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Steve,

Imagine (sorry no imagination needed it happened last week) the 16 out of band updates one at least requires a restart just when you have start an urgent resource intensive job .....

Why let Microsoft control WHEN ?

Hugh