DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 05-08-2011, 01:09 PM   #1
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Default Best place for a newcomer to Photoshop

Dottie's eldest son is a skibum <g> who lives in Jackson Hole to ski but he's on the injured list at present after a heavy crash broke his lower leg into several pieces, luckily not a compound fracture. Hard to be in a better location for a repair job -- they had two surgeons operating simultaneously patching it up with metal bits and nuts and bolts..... He's already allowed to begin to put weight on it only a few weeks after the surgery and spends most of the day in physiotherapy including pool workouts.

[If anyone gets the Ski Channel he's featured in a section of the movie/video "The Story" about extreme skiiing -- may be in your local ski club one of these days!]

When he called Dottie today he said he needed to talk "about Photoshop" and I suspect that when I speak to him tonight I will not be able to help him -- he mentioned something about getting add-ons for it.

Apart from his skiiing, he writes and has a good artistic feel and he's keeping himself sane and hoping to earn some money doing graphic design for a startup.

He has a HP or Compaq laptop from a few years ago with VISTA on it and it's not that highly configured -- although I think we got it up to 2GB of RAM and a much larger hard drive; he has an external HD also that I made for him from the older 80GB drive I replaced.

I gather the company has provided him with PhotoShop but as to what version of what I've no idea.

The only two places I could think of sending him for help would be here and/or to the Photography Forum on CIS where I see a fair number of posts helping people handle things like layers etc which I've no clue on.

Any thoughts if there's anywhere else that is civilized (not a typical newsgroup!) including which section here to suggest that he posts in -- Imaging seems officially to be the place but it's far from active ...

I'll check back in ....

TIA

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 02:02 PM   #2
Andrew B.
Staff

He's welcome to come here, but I see much more activity in the Photography forum. That could get him started. But there are dedicated forums out there with tutorials and all sorts of resources. I just can't think of one off hand. And, there is also the Photoshop forum at the Adobe web site.

One thing I suggest is buying a DVD course in Photoshop or taking an online course at vtc.com or even lynda.com. I took the comprehensive Deke McClelland course years ago. I was glad to suffer though his teaching style because he explained just about every tool in there. That gave me a foundation to start learning some of the more creative techniques. OTOH, I only did that after having fun and getting nowhere for a few years. So who knows what comes first.

Old 05-08-2011, 02:21 PM   #3
terrie
Staff

Quote:
hugh: I gather the company has provided him with PhotoShop but as to what version of what I've no idea.
First...it's "Photoshop"...'-}}

It would be useful to know which version and probably more importantly, how experienced is he--no knowledge at all, has used it but not much, uses it regularly?

What kind of work is he going to be doing--fixing color/exposure on digital photos (yer basic grunt work), getting images ready for publication, fine art work?

I suspect he will be driven nuts by working on a laptop if any of his work is color critical...

He'd certainly be welcome here--I've not been to cserve's photo forum for quite a while so I can't comment knowledgeable about it. There is a Photoshop Users list i belong to which is not terribly active but gives good answers to questions when posted--I don't have the subscription info handy but will get that to you.

I belong to a number of Yahoo Groups although not a specific Photoshop ones but I'll bet that might be a good place to look. I did a quick search of Yahoo Groups and found the following--first 2 pages of the search on "Photoshop" (no quotes) chosen based on the group description, the number of users and how long the group has existed:

1. Photoshop Haven (over 8000 users, 9 years)

2. Photoshop Beginners (over 3500, 12 years)

3. Photoshop Techniques (3300 users, 6 years)

4. AdobePhotoshop (5300 users, 12 years)

I read Yahoo Groups online at Yahoo rather than receiving individual lists' posts or getting the digest because I find it easier to just dip in and read when it's convenient for me...

Hope that helps...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:02 PM   #4
JVegVT

He should check out
http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/pho..._Resources.htm

Tons of tips, how to's, tutorials, online courses, etc., plus forums.

graphicssoft.about.com has similar resources for other graphics software, too.
--Judy M.

Registered Linux User #397786
Being productive with VectorLinux 7 Standard
JVegVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:44 PM   #5
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Thanks everyone -- I'm waiting to hear from him -- he's pretty heavily ocussed on rehab at the moment!

Hugh
Old 05-13-2011, 03:55 PM   #6
terrie
Staff

Hope he feels better soon...

Terrie
Old 05-13-2011, 05:08 PM   #7
Hugh Wyn Griffith

He feels good now but he's got anything up to a year of rehab of some form I would guess -- certainly many months. He spends up to 5 hours a day in pool therapy since that enables him to do things with reduced weight on the leg. And he uses a stationary bicycle for several hours a day. Luckily as a skier he was in top shape when it happened and can move himself around at home hanging from rings from the ceiling!

As well as using crutches ...

Hugh
Old 05-13-2011, 07:01 PM   #8
terrie
Staff

Quote:
hugh: and can move himself around at home hanging from rings from the ceiling!
The image this conjures up is...interesting...'-}}

Terrie
Old 05-14-2011, 07:21 AM   #9
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Well we do have ancestors ....

Hugh
Old 05-14-2011, 07:33 AM   #10
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

<G>